cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vdhvu
Former Member
Message 1 of 11

cannot use yahoo when installed Mcafee

I cannot use yahoo messenger version 9.0 as installed mcafee (including SecurityCenter ver. 9.3, VirusScan 13.3, Personal Firewall 10.3, Anti-Spam ver. 10.3, Parentals Control 11.3).

When I logged in Yahoo Messenger, the Offline messages cannot be read. When starting to chat with someone, the text in the dialog box cannot see. It appears like the below:

And then the Yahoo Messenger automatically exits (halts). Could you help me to fix this issue?

I use Lenovo Thinkpad T60.

Thank you.
10 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 11

RE: cannot use yahoo when installed Mcafee

Do you have the very latest version of Yahoo Messenger?

All I can find on this is http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100663&lang=en_US&prior_tid=2&AnswerID=16777217&turl...

Also what version of Internet Explorer do you have installed?

Also make sure Windows and all your peripherals, such as Java and Flash are totally up to date.

Also check this:

you may have scripting disabled in your Internet Explorer.

To enable scripting:

Click the "Tools" menu on your Internet Explorer toolbar and select "Internet Options."

Click the "Security" tab.

Click the Internet (globe) icon and click the "Custom Level" button.

Scroll down to "Scripting."

Enable the following:

Active scripting
Allow paste operations via script
Scripting of Java applets are all enabled
Click the OK button at the bottom of the window.

Note: Restart Yahoo! Messenger and you should start seeing text in your IM windows again.

vdhvu
Former Member
Message 3 of 11

I think that I am using the last yahoo messenger (Version 9.0) and I am using IE 8, Firefox ver. 3.0.10

When I open Microsoft Outlook, the content of each message also cannot display, just the header could be read.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 11

That FAQ I linked to says it should be 9.0.0.2128 or later.

Is IE8 beta or what? Go to it and click Help/About. If it is less than 8.0.6001.18702 then you need to uninstall it and reinstall the final version.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 11

Also ensure that Java and Flash are totally up to date and uninstall any older versions.
vdhvu
Former Member
Message 6 of 11

Yes, I am using Yahoo Messenger version 9.0.0.2152.

Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702IC
Cipher Strength: 128bit

Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX and Adobe Flash 10 Plugin

I also did as you instructed me, but it was unsuccessful.

The text also cannot display in the dialog box and yahoo exit immediately, the content in messages of Microsoft outlook also cannot display as installing Mcafee, but when I uninstall it, these programs work well.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 11

Very strange as mine work OK in both XP SP3 and Vista SP2.

I gather you are using XP. What version is it so I can seek help with this problem. SP1, 1a, 2 or 3 and is it totally up to date?
vdhvu
Former Member
Message 8 of 11

I use Windows Xpnull SP3, and has just updated. After updating, I restart the laptop, but it still doesn't work.
vdhvu
Former Member
Message 9 of 11

Could you show me how to turn off pop-up in Mcafee (including SecurityCenter ver. 9.3, VirusScan 13.3, Personal Firewall 10.3, Anti-Spam ver. 10.3, Parentals Control 11.3)?

Is this caused by pop-up?
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 11

I'll ask for help, meanwhile did you try the reset of IE8? Go to Tools/Internet Options/Advanced. Click Reset, Apply and OK and exit/ Re-open IE and re-enable the add-ons under Tools/Manage Add-ons.

Do you really need Parental Controls? Do you have children or other people using the machine who need to be restricted?

There isn't a pop-up blocker in Parental Controls any more so not sure about that.

The user guide is here: http://download.mcafee.com/products/manuals/en-us/MTP_userguide_2009.pdf

Let me flag this and see if someone has some ideas. Meanwhile, if you wish, Technical Support Chat is available 24/7 free of charge through the link at top left of this page or in my signature.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community