cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cfillio
Former Member
Message 1 of 7

Wireless Printer Wont Work Unless Firewall Turned Off

Hi, I am interested in how to configure McAfee Internet Security to allow printing to a wireless printer.  I am experiencing the same issue with the firewall blocking communication to the printer (tested because it is able to print once I turn off the firewall).  Details:

• McAfee Internet Security
  • Printer is an HP DeskJet 3050A J611g
  • Dell Inspiron laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit

Thanks!

Chris

Message was edited by: cfillio on 12/31/11 12:07:42 PM CST
6 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 7

Re: Wireless Printer Wont Work Unless Firewall Turned Off

The thread you posted to was 2 years old so have given you your own thread and someone hopefully will answer this soon.

tlbou
Former Member
Message 3 of 7

Has this printer/firewall issue been resolved yet?  My wireless network printer also won't work unless McAfee Firewall is turned off.  This is the case with three different laptops, two running Windows 7 and one with XP.  My wired desktop is running Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 64 bit.  File sharing is also a problem - won't work unless McAfee Firewall is turned off.  All was working well until late December, perhaps coinciding with a McAfee update.  Ran the Virtual Technician, but can't seem to resolve this problem.  Looking for help!

Thanks,

Laurie

Message was edited by: tlbou on 1/21/12 9:27:03 PM CST
Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 7

firstly have you got the printer spooler allowed in the firewall settings? ie Internet connections for programs?

spooler subsystem app

c:\windwos\system32\spoolsv.exe

tlbou
Former Member
Message 5 of 7

Yes, the printer spooler is indeed allowed in the firewall settings.

I have a Dell desktop with McAfee Security Center:

Version: 11.0

Build: 11.0.654

Personal Firewall:

Version: 12.0

Build: 12.0.345

Nishad_G
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Hi

Thank you for the version details. Please try the below steps and update us the status:

1. Go to McAfee Firewall Settings
  2. Select “My Network Connections”
  3. Check if the local IP Address is added to it. If not kindly add all the local IP’s which you would like to trust
  4. In case if the address are already added, try to change the Security Level to “Work” and save the settings and then try accessing the printer

Firewall.JPG

If the above fails, Navigate to Navigation>History & Logs>Incoming Event and check the reasons under the events which blocked the communication with the local IP’s

singalbabe
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Thank you, Nishad!!!!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community