cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
quipucito
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

Windows Firewall

How do I change the firewall from McAfee back to Windows?

I do not want to use McAfee as my firewall... I want WINDOWS!!!

3 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

Re: Windows Firewall

Moved to Personal Firewall.

McAfee Firewall can be turned off but it cannot be uninstalled as it is part of the package and there will be constant nag screens telling you to turn it back on.  If you wanted only an antivirus then you should have gone for some other brand that offers the software separately.

To turn it off open SecurityCenter by double-clicking the taskbar icon then click Web and Email Protection

Click Firewall

Turn it off and set it for never.

Then open Control Panel/Security Center and enable Windows Firewall.

I will warn you that Windows Firewall does NOT protect you as well as a software firewall as it is inbound only protection, unless some very fancy settings changes  under the hood are made.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 18/07/11 3:19:30 EDT PM
quipucito
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

Thanks but does it work on Windows 7 Home Premium?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 4

If you disable McAfee Firewall then Windows 7's own firewall should turn on automatically....... in theory.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community