Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
delacroix
Former Member
Message 1 of 12

Windows 8 Metro Start Up Unable to Update

Hi,

I'm using Windows 8 for a couple of months ago and recently I noticed that my FIREWALL is OFF probably because of an unknown third party app ( I can't remember what exactly it is) but I already REMOVE and UNINSTALL unnecessary apps and it's clean now NO MALWARE or anything, I checked LOCAL SERVICES and it's sort of alright BASE FILTERING is there and other processes that is prone to malwares and viruses

the problem now is I can't INSTALL apps or any update on my METRO START UP

Is that just because my pre-installed McAfee 2012 BLOCK the execution of my WINDOWS FIREWALL??

Also when trying to start running it's process form LOCAL SERVICES it say's ERROR CODE 5 but when trying to start it on control panel it says nothing it just keep on loading

is it because of Mcafee Firewall?? Is it possible to fully uninstall it and reinstall??

THANK YOU!

11 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 12

Re: Windows 8 Metro Start Up Unable to Update

The use of variable fonts makes your post extremely difficult to read, but here goes.

McAfee 2012...?   Sounds like you are using an old product.   It would also help to know the name of that "unknown third party app".

I suggest completely uninstalling in the normal way, running the MCPR cleanup tool, rebooting and reinstalling from your online account NOT from any CD you may have.

It's all laid out here, including the removal tool:  http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 18/07/13 6:38:20 EDT AM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 12

I forgot to add that the activation of any 3rd party firewall such as McAfee Personal Firewall will automatically disable Windows Firewall itself, but the Windows Firewall Service (in services.msc otherwise known as "Windows Services") should always be started and automatic.   If it is not started attempt to do so and if there are problems read the announcement at the top of the main section here (It states in part: "In Windows 8 try restoring the default services in "Windows Services" a.k.a. services.msc using this Tutorial:   http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/9413-services-restore-default-services-wind ows-8-a.html ") or contact Technical Support directly.   It's free by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 12

By the way I just heard that the Virtual Technician has been updated to fix Firewall issues.

http://mvt.mcafee.com/

To quote my source:

“Enhanced MVT Functionality Resolves Most RTS/Firewall Disabled Scenarios”

What this means is that when a McAfee core service is either stopped or disabled, MVT will switch the service back to auto-start (if required) and then start the service (if required).  The customer may have to close and re-open McAfee SecurityCenter to see the effect, but a reboot shouldn’t be necessary.

Preliminary reports show good results in resolving these FW and RTS issues.

Bear in mind that MVT will only fix these and other known causes.  If the Firewall or RTS problem is caused by something else other than a stopped or disabled service, then it may not resolve the issue.

delacroix
Former Member
Message 5 of 12

I already did the restore the default services but still it not running but when I'm trying to start its process is says error code 2

Windows Firewall Error Code 2.JPG

and if I fully uninstall McAfee is it possible to install the latest version McAfee 2013 or it will need an additional payment??

thanks

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 12

Wait a minute here, are you asking why Windows Firewall is off, or why Windows Firewall Service is off?   The 2 are different things.   When McAfee is installed Windows Firewall should be off, but Windows Firewall Service should be on.

Uninstall all McAfee via Control Panel > Programs or use this FAQ to help you:  http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331 and use the MCPR tool listed there to cleanup the remants.

Reboot and reinstall as instructed there from your online account.

As long as your subscription is current you will get the latest available version from your account page,   If your account is controlled by your ISP or your PC maker or some other 3rd party, then the version they have may be different from the one at home.mcafee.com.   There is nothing we can do about that.

McAfee Security Advisor is not the regular McAfee software and is not needed.

I found a reference online to it:

McAfee Security Advisor is separate from your McAfee protection software. It provides security status updates from your McAfee software while giving you access to the McAfee software Home page. The McAfee app doesn't provide virus or malware protection. However, the tile for it should work.

You may completely uninstall McAfee using ‘McAfee Removal Tool’. For more information regarding McAfee Removal Tool, please refer to (see above)

Reinstall McAfee by logging into your user account registered with McAfee. During the installation uncheck ‘McAfee Security Advisor’ when you get the option and proceed with the installation.

If McAfee Protection is working fine and you don’t want to uninstall it and don’t want the McAfee Security Advisor’ tile, you may unpin it from the ‘Start Screen’. Please follow the steps below:

• Right click ‘McAfee Security Advisor’.
  • Click ‘Unpin’ to remove the tile from the ‘Start Screen’

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 15/08/13 4:38:29 EDT AM
delacroix
Former Member
Message 7 of 12

ahmm no.. I mean all I need is to keep it running on services.msc or local services because it was originally running together with my McAfee 2013 from the very first time that I use my laptop but as I said it stop running last month or two because of a ZeroAccess Trojan but I already solve that problem and everything associated with it but now my Metro Screen is somehow useless..

I still got a year of subscription and it says License and an email address below it probably my Dad friend's email address.

What does it mean?? Does it mean that if I can access that account, I will be able to fully uninstall my McAfee, start my Windows Firewall and install the latest McAfee Antivirus??

And about the McAfee Site Advisor, I just downloaded it form McAfee website

Thanks..

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 12

"Keep it running" - keep what running?   Regarding your other statement:  I'm not talking about SiteAdvisor, I'm talking about that McAfee app in your picture up top...Security Advisor should not be installed, it is not security software but merely a sales tool to try to sell you something else.

Then follow the previous instructions for cleaning out alll McAfee and starting all over again.   If the account is in someone else's name then you are going to have to contact them unless you know the password.

delacroix
Former Member
Message 9 of 12

keep my Windows Firewall running so  that I can install apps and also update the old ones form my Metro Screen

ahh I get it sorry my bad, I don't actually know a lot about it, when I got my laptop it's already their.

I'll try your recommendation and i will post the results

thanks a lot!!!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 12

If you install McAfee antivirus and firewall, Windows Firewall is automatically disabled and you must leave it that way.    If you ever uninstall McAfee then WF will automatically be reactivated.

This is because running 2 firewalls can actually cause the firewall to lose effectiveness and let infection in.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community