cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alanrf
Contributor III
Message 1 of 6

Why does Firewall corrupt Windows Explorer

On three different computers, one Vista and two Win 7 the same problem occurs.   Right clicking on a file orfolder and selecting 'Properties' works up to a point.  All of the tabs are available except 'Sharing'  When I click on that nothing happens and I get a message that 'Windows Explorer is not responding'.

The only cure is to close the window.  However, regardless of how many attempts the Sharing tab remains inaccessible - which is not exactly helpful.

However, I have found that if I disable the Firewall the Sharing tab is not only accessible but it works.

This seems to be something of a kludge to me because until very recently, (I suspect with the release of Firewall v 11.5) this problem never existed.

Is there a fix or is there a configuration issue here.

5 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

Re: Why does Firewall corrupt Windows Explorer

You may have to enable that feature in Firewall settings.

Double-click the taskbar icon to open SecurityCenter

Click Web and Email Protection

Click Firewall

Click Ports and System Services

Check the Windows File Sharing item

It should now be OK with Firewall on.

alanrf
Contributor III
Message 3 of 6

No, that port was already enabled. I've got the relevant Ports 137-139, 5357 already enabled.

This issue only arise recently, and for the past several months there was never an issue as far as I am aware.

Message was edited by: alanrf on 27/11/10 05:00:52 CST
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

Then I'm at a loss. sorry.  I suggest Technical Support Chat linked under Useful Links above.

Aldrin
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

Make sure all your computers are configured in connection settings if not try this...

Open McAfee Security Center> Firewall> Settings> Connections> Add the Vista IP Address to the other Win 7 computers, follow the same in Vista computer as well. In other words all the 3 computers should have the other 2 computers IP Address added as Home/Trusted.

Let me know if that helps you out...

alanrf
Contributor III
Message 6 of 6

Looks like I found the answer eventually.

I had only enabled port 445 (Microsoft Directory Server (MSFTDS) on on computer.  Setting it open on the other boxes resolved the ssue.

The odd thing is that until recently there was never an issue, so I still wonder if it was an issue with the latest Firewall update, or, and probably more likely, something that happened when the last lot of MS updates were installed.

However, all seems to be working OK now!

Many thanks for your support and responses, much appreciated.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community