cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
netguard
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

What exactly is NetGuard ?

Hello , i have recently upgraded to the 2011 version and i see a new tab in the firewall section called NetGuard ,i have read all the information provided in the Help section but i am not sure i understand exactly what it does, i thot maybe someone more experienced can put some more light on this issue for me.

I am on Win 7/32bit all updates installed , McAfee (IS) is also updated.

Also , do you recommend i should remove McAfee and install it again from the website ? my product has updated from 2010 to 2011 on its own but i know sometimes there can be problems with such updates.

3 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 4

Re: What exactly is NetGuard ?

Netguard takes web site  and Ip safety info from Trusted source URL and IP lookup info.

Works ok but can block some safe sites so monitor and check before you allow netguard blocked sites access.

ie

http://www.mcafee.com/threat-intelligence/ip/default.aspx?ip=74.54.82.209

Austemagne
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Re: What exactly is NetGWhyuard ?

Why is it defaulted off for McAfee's own programs?

sivasubramanian
Message 4 of 4

Re: What exactly is NetGWhyuard ?

@Austemagne

Net Guard monitors every incoming connection to your Windows PC and blocks risky connections to keep your personal information secure. When you try to browse to a website that you believe is trustworthy, you are blocked from accessing the site by the McAfee Firewall function called Net Guard.

This function uses a repository of known good and known bad domain names and IP addresses. If you try to go to a known bad website or address, Net Guard protects you by blocking the connection.

The program permissions are to determine which programs can access the Internet, and which type of access they have. You can allow programs to have incoming and outgoing access, outgoing-only access, or no access at all.

The McAfee programs which need access to the internet is determined as Yes in Net Guard 

Please review our article which will help you to know more about Net Guard.

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community