Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jaymfe
Former Member
Message 11 of 51

Re: Weird Activity Logged in Firewall Log

Hi,

It seems McAfee is working perfectly on your computer and firewall set to stealth mode right? Please do not enable windows firewall along with McAfee Firewall as it may stop working both . There is big core change from the 2010 version to 2011 on its scanning andfirewall behavior. Do you have any other computer connected on your network?

theflyingmonkey
Former Member
Message 12 of 51

Yea, when my isp tech help said that this activity sounds like adware I ran malwarebytes, but only a quick scan. Only items it found was 2 pum.disabled.securitycenter or something like that, which I know those 2 files are dangerous.

As for the hard drive light, I asked because usually when I leave the computer alone its light doesn't flash.

theflyingmonkey
Former Member
Message 13 of 51

Yes, my firewall is set to shealth and it always has been. Also, I didn't turn back on Windows Firewall since, I komw that sill cause problems also my XP is hooked to my router through ethernet cable. As for other computers, yes I do have other xomputers connected to my network/router (wirelessly). I already added those computer to my list of trusted connections. However, I usually always only have one computer on at a time. Example, if I use my XP no other computer is on. Then, if I need to use,my Vista Laptop, I would turn off my XP and turn on my vista.

If the behavior of the 2011 Firewall changed, is the activity that I mentioned in my original post normal.  Since before the update, this UDP Port 25701 event only sometimes happen when I shutdown my computer and the evnt only occurs once. Also, before the update I would usually have no activity logged into the log since I wasnt downloading things or anything like that. The only event that I see by my actions is when I use torrent, then my log would list many ip tr yu ing to access my torrent port. Of course, sometimes there are some events that happen while I am on firefox checking my email and gamspot. Like 2 or 3 day ago, there was a java update which I installed. Then I had to uninstall the,older plugin from Firefox, since it doesnt automatically remove it. After I was done checkimg, I checked my logs and list one ip for about 1and a half page in the Incoming Events tab. All trying to accessing TCP Port 3245, 3247, 3248, 3249, 3218 over a 15 minute timespan. I reverse lookup the,ip and found out of 500 something site one of the site was download.oracle.com.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 14 of 51

Oracle is where Java comes from.

jaymfe
Former Member
Message 15 of 51

This logs may list on events and logs when the software on your computer run automatic update.

theflyingmonkey
Former Member
Message 16 of 51

Right when I saw that one of the site was download.oracle.com, I just figured it wasnt something bad.

theflyingmonkey
Former Member
Message 17 of 51

Sorry, but what automatic update are you talking about? All, I know is that the weird thing now is that my UDP port 25701 is being access or trying,to be accessed by alot of random ip address. There so much ip address I cant tell if any of them are the same or not. This event with my 25701 port happens from when my computer starts up till shutdown now, compared to before update, it only happens once during shutdown sometimes.

theflyingmonkey
Former Member
Message 18 of 51

Forgot to mention that yesterday, the log/event continued for 3 hours; the whole time I was on my computer after restarting from update.

jaymfe
Former Member
Message 19 of 51

When software like java, mcafee, window...etc update automatically on your computer, it will be logged in firewall as some ips of that particular software server is trying to acccess that computer. In this case it seems like a java update made that logs.

theflyingmonkey
Former Member
Message 20 of 51

I know it isnt the java update that was trying to access that port since it was already updated before McAfee was updated to 2011. It could be Windows update since, I know yesterday was when the update was released but I didnt get the automatic update shield popup saying that it was downloading updates.

As for the log, it was Incoming Events all those ip were trying to access my computer's system port (UDP Port 25701). When I checked the Outgoing Events there were none.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community