Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
princerhaegar29
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Very bad problem with Internet and McAfee firewall

Jump to solution

Earlier today my laptop started acting very strangely. McAfee said that Firewall was not on, but when I turned it on, 2 seconds later it would turn itself off again. My McAfee subscription doesn't run out until 2013. I did a McAfee full scan, used McAfee stinger and did a Malwarebytes full scan, but none of these fixed the problem. I could still access the Internet at this point so I went onto McAfee help chat and the man remotely accesses my computer after I explained the problem. He did a few things before saying the computer needed to restart for him to continue helping me. But when the laptop had loaded up after restarting, my laptop could no longer access the Internet and so I was disconnected from McAfee help. I did a troubleshoot to see why I couldnt connect to the Internet and it said it was due to Firewall. But the McAfee firewall was still off, and still wouldn't let me turn it on. I restarted laptop but still unable to connect to Internet. All other devices, including iPod I am typing on now, are able to connect to wireless router fine. Help!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 8

Re: Very bad problem with Internet and McAfee firewall

Jump to solution

Check to see if it will restore to before all this started but if successful run Windows Update and update McAfee afterwards.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 8

Jump to solution

On that machine make sure that Windows Firewall Service is Started and Automatic.

Go to Start/Run and type in Services.msc then scroll down and double-click that service to see/alter the settings.

If you have recently used any registry cleaners or optimizers check to see if they have an Undo or Restore button to reverse the previous action.  This is typical of what they can do.

Open McAfee SecurityCenter then click Web and Email Protection and then Firewall

Click Internet Connections for Programs - takes a few moments to load sometimes

Click program at the top of the list to rearrange them alphabetically

Locate Internet Explorer and whatever your default browser is (both if you use Firefox or similar) and make sure access is Full

Right-click the taskbar network icon near the clock and select 'Diagnose and Repair' to see if that fixes the connection.

Try to reconnect with Support and mention the previous session ID number.

princerhaegar29
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Jump to solution

I did what you said, but it didn't work. Windows Firewall Properties is on Automatic but the Service status was "Stopped" and when I clicked Start, a message appeared saying "Windows could not start the Windows firewall on local computer. For more information review the System Event log. If this is a non Microsoft service, contact the service vendor and refer to service-specific error code 5."

As for McAfee, it now says "Your computer is secure (no action required)" at the top, but when I click on Firewall it says its Off, and I am still unable to turn it on. When I click on Internet connections for programs, it is just a blank box, even after waiting for many minutes.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 8

Jump to solution

Is anything listed in Device Manager under Network Adapters?   If Network Adapters is there but empty, right-click it and select 'Scan for Hardware Changes'.

What Operating System and Service Pack is this by the way and have you tried System Restore to before all this started?

princerhaegar29
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Jump to solution

Under network adapters it says Atheros AR5B97 Wireless Network Adapter and broadcom Netlink Gigabit Ethernet.

My laptop is Windows 7, Service Pack 1. I have not done a system restore. Do you recommend doing one now?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 8

Jump to solution

Check to see if it will restore to before all this started but if successful run Windows Update and update McAfee afterwards.

princerhaegar29
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Jump to solution

Well doing a system restore to a week ago appears to have solved the problem. I can now access the internet and McAfee firewall is permanently on. I have done the updates. Thank you for the advice.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 8

Jump to solution

That's great.  System Restore can be a lifesaver at times.  I've used more times than I can remember.

All the best. 😉

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community