Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dummkopf
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

Trusted and Banned IP addresses

Hello McAfee User Community:

I was poking through security center and the firewall settings and noticed that the IP range 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255 were trusted. I have no recollection of ever explicitly directing the firewall to trust these private network IP ranges. Are they are added to the list as trusted by default? I notice my other computer which also uses McAfee firewall did the same thing.

Security Center Version: 9.3
Firewall Version: 10.3

Many thanks,

Dummkopf
5 Replies
Jubo
Contributor III
Message 2 of 6

RE: Trusted and Banned IP addresses

This IP range is for internal local computers. Like a 2nd computer in your house. Not for the "outside..."
dummkopf
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the reply Jubo.

However, I don't have computers in my home networked; then is this something the firewall does automatically out of convenience for those who do have networked internal local computers?

Many thanks,

dummkopf
SeanM-L_1re
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

If you have more than one(1) computer, and all are connected to your ISP via a router, Personal Firewall "trusts" 192.168.1.0 --> 192.168.1.255" for any device(s) connected via the router.

My PC and my daughter's Mac share the broadband, and I still have problems networking the two!
MetsFan86
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

Re: RE: Trusted and Banned IP addresses

I am having similar issues.  PC is running WinXP SP3, McAfee Personal Firewall 10.3, Windows Firewall disabled, File and Printer Sharing Enabled, printer connected to the PC.  McAfee Firewall has Windows File Sharing enabled and 192.168.1.0 through 255 in "Trusted" status.

Mac is running Leopard.  Whenever it tries to print, I get a "NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_REFUSED".  Mac is unable to "see" the printer anymore.

This worked previously (had to be repaired multiple times - seems to be after McAfee program updates when things break), the Mac is unable to see the PC.  Requires me to have to disable / re-enable Windows File and Printer sharing to get things running again (or disable McAfee firewall and re-enable Windows firewall), but that does not always work.

Extremely frustrating when you finally get it to work and have it stop working weeks later despite not doing anything other than regualr program / Windows updates.

on 11/25/09 11:43 AM
SeanMc98
Contributor III
Message 6 of 6

Re: RE: Trusted and Banned IP addresses

(formerly I was "SeanM", then "SeanM-L_1re" after the Forum conversion folks poached by screen name)

Networking the PC and Mac is a most challenging problem, made additionally cumbersome when the firewalls do not play well together.  I have made this work using another commercially available product ("Network Magic"), but it can be done.  If your problem message is appearing on the Mac (ie: the Mac cannot print to a Windows printer), try the following: Printing to a Windows (Samba) shared printer from a Mac

If the printer is on the Mac, and Windows is displaying the error, then the Windows sharing is not correct.  (In this case, I would delete and reinstall the printer as a networked printer on the PC.)

FWIW: this problem can be so frustrating that we E-Mail the documents when the PC or Mac decide to get "snarky" and not play well!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community