cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 11 of 19

Re: Total Protection 2014; Software blocked to the internet by Mc Afee.

Jump to solution

You said "for the biggest part" - so it's not totally solved?   Technical Support can lend a hand if you need them.

Free by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/07/14 2:00:16 EDT PM
selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 12 of 19

Jump to solution

Hi sib98,

Here's what I can suggest you,

The Primary Test to check if McAfee is causing this.

1. Disable McAfee Firewall and check if Application works fine

2. Disable Real Time Scanning and check if Application works fine

After trying these you can come to a conclusion that which component of McAfee is causing issues connecting to the internet. Please note that if problem persists even after disabling these then McAfee shouldn't be the cause.

Peacekeeper
Message 13 of 19

Jump to solution

Oh reenable the firewall and Real time scanner after each test please.

sib98
Former Member
Message 14 of 19

Jump to solution

Solved for the biggest part, it apparantly has to due with several problems;

• Interfearance with other antivirus components (uncomplete removal)
  • Net Guard interfearance
  • Interfearance with programs like Steam (game community, installer and launcher, witch the launcher part is not working correctly)

Steam as a program at its own;

• Community:
    • Interactivivty with friends in games, and about games. This includes chats, voice chat, and a browser like feature witch lets you connect to the website from Steam.
  • Installer:
    • Buying and installing games online.
  • Launcher:
    • When you buy games on Steam, you are only able to start games via steam to be able to connect to the community.
    • Here was the problem, i couldn't play or use several games on steam (mainly the games that need to be online), this had to due with the fact that thiese games are launched by a so called "third party" launcher from Steam itselves. Steam launcher only launches the game, and that can mean that Steam launches a launcher to start the game, but because thiese launchers are blocked by McAfee no game could be started. Steam suggests people to turn off Real-time Scanning to prevent this. From my experiance with McAfee Total Protection 2014 you can do that, But you also need to turn Smart Advice in Firewall > Smart Advice and Advanced settings into "let me decide" or whatever that will be in English or another language, because i am using the Dutch version.

There is very probaply a better way for this, and i am not sure if i need to turn Real-time Scanning on again but its fine for me and it works.

P.S.     Thanks for all the guys here for helping me out a lot! and i hope that for people that have the same trouble can get help from this.

I will keep this as "unanswered" for now, because it could be there is a better way!

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 15 of 19

Jump to solution

I can appreciate your comments and enjoyment of Gaming. However I would feel uncomfortable leaving my (RTS) disabled. Can you not submit the Process/file to McAfee to possibly get it whitelisted? I ask and say this, for I am concerned over your System Security.

(As Peacekeeper suggested) Please re-enable your (RTS)

There seems to be issues with alot of Gamers/Games, especially Artemis!.

While I am not a avid Gamer, I will always choose (Security) over a Game.

Quite possibly someone could add even further to this Discussion.

Wishing you all the very Best,

Regards,

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 16 of 19

Jump to solution

Yes I agree, RTS should be on as without it you may as well not bother with any protection at all.  Better to pursue why the software is causing the problems by submitting it for clearance.

Here:  https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB66642

or here:  http://www.mcafee.com/us/threat-center/resources/how-to-submit-sample.aspx

Or contact Technical Support for free assistance.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 12/07/14 3:21:45 EDT PM
sib98
Former Member
Message 17 of 19

Jump to solution

Ok to finish off, i did some research and the programs that didn't work are now even working with Real-Time scanning on! So there you have it! Make sure that (when you are searching for solving this) you turn Smart Advice in Firewall > Smart Advice and Advanced settings into "let me decide" or whatever that will be in English or another language!

Make sure that you keep Real-Time scanning on!

P.S. Thanks for all the guys here on the forum for helping me, and i hope this will also help you as reader in search for solving this problem!

sib98
Former Member
Message 18 of 19

Jump to solution

The problem is catdaddy, is that i don't really bother about games. I am working with a program for office work that works similar to this, witch i find more important then a firewall that does more then i want! I also have my priorities in that, because of course security is also for me above entertainment. The reason for me to not talk about that specific program is because it is very fragile, and may not be too explained on the internet. (it is still in development) and that is also why i didn't actually need a service like chats from McAfee... I am known to a lot to computers, but i just needed some thinking from others to get me on the right path because i am still not very known to McAfee on its own.

Now that is clear, still thanks for thinking with me for getting it right.

P.S. I wasn't really bothering about getting it better than it was, because i found it enaugh but because you and some other guys answered me on that i found out that i could be better off with more research!

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 19 of 19

Jump to solution

Glad that all seems to be okay, and you have (RTS) ENABLED.

Wishing you all the best,

Regards,

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community