cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sib98
Former Member
Message 1 of 19

Total Protection 2014; Software blocked to the internet by Mc Afee.

Jump to solution

I am trying to use Total Protection 2014, however it keeps blocking software internet and i don't know how to change that... I know that it has to due with McAfee, because i have tried everything without McAfee and then reinstalling McAfee Total Protection 2014. I have seen that you can change what programs can be granted to internet in the Firewall settings by the "internetconnections for software and programs" (<-- if not entirely correct, i am using the dutch version...) but several programs that need internet connections have "full" access following to McAfee, but they don't have any connection at all...

My question is; How do i give programs full access to internet? or, How do i prevent McAfee from blocking my software, because i don't want that feature of McAfee?

Thanks for taking your time reading this!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sib98
Former Member
Message 17 of 19

Re: Total Protection 2014; Software blocked to the internet by Mc Afee.

Jump to solution

Ok to finish off, i did some research and the programs that didn't work are now even working with Real-Time scanning on! So there you have it! Make sure that (when you are searching for solving this) you turn Smart Advice in Firewall > Smart Advice and Advanced settings into "let me decide" or whatever that will be in English or another language!

Make sure that you keep Real-Time scanning on!

P.S. Thanks for all the guys here on the forum for helping me, and i hope this will also help you as reader in search for solving this problem!

View solution in original post

18 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 19

Jump to solution

Open SecurityCenter and click Web and Email Protection.

Click Firewall > Internet Connnestion for Programs

It takes a while to load usually.

Click the word Program at the top to relist them in order

Locate your programme and make sure it has full permission (use the Edit button if necessary) and you could also try toggling Net Guard to see if that helps.

Under Internet Connections make sure your network is listed and labelled correctly.  Under Windows Network Center make sure that you only have one network listed as active.  Two or more can confuse issues and cause no connection.

k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 19

Jump to solution

To follow up with the info Ex Brit mentioned I just want to mention if you have ever had any previous security software before you started using McAfee that you had previously uninstalled the software and used the specific removal tool for that software. Sometimes this is known to cause conflicts because of an uncomplete removal of previous software.

sib98
Former Member
Message 4 of 19

Jump to solution

the problem is, is that i know that much... and i can find it in that list, but toggling net-guard doesn't help, and it is set to full permission... however i did find out that when i try to remove it, and then locate it via "edit" i can't find it at all in my entire computer whiles the program does work correctly... it could be that what k3tg said is indeed part of the problem or it is the entire problem!

anyways, thanks for telling me ;D

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 19

Jump to solution

If you can't locate it maybe you need to enable the view of hidden files and folders in Windows Explorer Folder Options > View.   Technical Support are there to help should you need them - free by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

sib98
Former Member
Message 6 of 19

Jump to solution

I had a trial version of Kaspersky Internet Security, and removed it via "programs and components" on Windows 8.1 (again i don't know how its called, i use the Dutch version of Windows 8.1), so i am not sure if Windows removed it via the uninstaller from Windows, or the official uninstaller from Kaspersky... So do you know how i would be able to remove thiese last pieces from the software, could i get rid of the most with programs like CCleaner for removing registering failures? Or do i need to reinstall the specific version of the trial to remove it correctly?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 19

Jump to solution
sib98
Former Member
Message 8 of 19

Jump to solution

Thanks! that will help a lot i guess!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 19

Jump to solution

I hope so, good luck.

sib98
Former Member
Message 10 of 19

Jump to solution

Solved for the biggest part, it apparantly has to due with several problems;

• Interfearance with other antivirus components (uncomplete removal)
  • Net Guard interfearance
  • Interfearance with programs like Steam (game community, installer and launcher, witch the launcher part is not working correctly)

Details about Steam for people that don't know what it is, or how it works;

• Community:
    • Interactivivty with friends in games, and about games. This includes chats, voice chat, and a browser like feature witch lets you connect to the website from Steam.
  • Installer:
    • Buying and installing games online.
  • Launcher:
    • When you buy games on Steam, you are only able to start games via steam to be able to connect to the community.
    • Here lies the problem! You cannot play or use several games on steam (mainly the games that need to be online), this has probaply to due with the fact that thiese games aren't seen as programs but outer interactivity from steam. Whiles steam has all permission to do "back and forth" activity, the games do not... Steam suggests people to turn off Real-time Scanning to prevent this, but this is probably for an older version, because it doesn't seems to work...
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community