cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
suedeheadscot
Former Member
Message 1 of 3

This has been answered before...but I am having problems with Windows Firewall. Is McAfee a waste of money?

I have had so many problems since I downloaded it.

The Firewall cannot be switched on and its buggered up Skype.  I have followed the instructions of previous posts for this, and gone into services.msc.  I have tried to put the Windows Firewall on and it keeps switching off.

This didn't happen before I downloaded McAfee. 

I also have had problems with Malware.  I downloaded free software to get rid of it and it worked.  Wasn't it McAfee's job to get rid of it? 

I'm starting to think McAfee isn't worth paying all that money if I have to spend x amount of time trying to mend it...

2 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 3

Re: This has been answered before...but I am having problems with Windows Firewall. Is McAfee a waste of money?

Unless you somehow installed McAfee minus the Personal Firewall component there is no way to turn on Windows Firewall with the software installed,  As with all software firewalls, it controls Windows Security and 'takes over' the function of it.

Skype should certainly work fine with McAfee installed.   Open SecurityCenter > Web and Email Protection > Firewall > Internet Connections for Programs (hint: click the word Program at the top and they will rearrange alphabetically - they take a while to load) and make sure that Skype has full access.  If it isn't listed add it.   Also consult Skyp's help section for any other hints regarding firewall settings.

No antivirus, no matter what brand, is 100% guaranteed but does protect you against millions of infections and its database is augmented to the tune of 150,000 new ones daily.   So it is wise toi keep a few extra tools on hand just incase.  See the last link in my signature below for some suggestions.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 3

Re: This has been answered before...but I am having problems with Windows Firewall. Is McAfee a waste of money?

By the way, should you need hands-on help, Technical Support is free by phone or online chat and they are linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community