cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
theflyingmonkey
Former Member
Message 1 of 3

Strange firewall behavior

I was wondering if this was normal or not.  I have XP Home Service Pack 3 with McAfee Internet Security 11.

So here is what happened,I have Malwarebytes' added to my program permissions and it has Full Acess. I went to update it today and it found a new version which was 1.51.1.1800.  After it downloaded and installed the newest version, it said that my DAT was 20 days old and asked if I was to update now or not.  I clicked No, then I clicked Check for Updates manually and McAfee had a popup asking me if I want to allow program files/malwarebytes/mbam.exe.  I checked my list of allowed programs and the filepath of the already allow one and this popup were the same.  So I clicked allow once and the update start and finished installing newest DAT.

After that I close Malwarebytes to write a short essay.  Then I decided to do a Full Scan using Malwarebytes.  When I clicked Full Scan and it was starting to scan, the same popup from McAfee was showing and the scan wasn't moving.  i checked the filepath again and it is the same.  So I clicked allow once and the scan was moving again.  Since I thought that this was weird as to why Malwarebytes would need Internet connection to perform a scan.  I aborted the scan and closed Malwarebytes and tried a Full Scan again to see if this happens.  It didn't even though I tried to repeat this 3 times.  The last thing that happened was when the scan was done and there were two PUM which were false positives and I unchecked and clicked Removed Selected.  When I did this same thing a McAfee popup and the Malwarebyte could generate the Log until I clicked Allow Once.  Then closed Malwarebtyes and started it up again run a Quick Scan and when it was done, I chose to save the log rather than unchecking the two false positives and selecting Remove Selected and the popup didn't show up.

So basically, I guess why am I getting a popup from McAfee telling me that a program that I have already allowed from before needs Internet Access for not only checking updates, but starting a scan (one time event) and that weird Removed Selected (one time event)?

2 Replies
theflyingmonkey
Former Member
Message 2 of 3

Re: Strange firewall behavior

Seriously, anyone? Why is this happening?

Kumar_suman
Message 3 of 3

Re: Strange firewall behavior

Hi @adamgrow ,

Greetings from McAfee.

To assist you better on this, Please provide us the operating system version and the McAfee version running on your computer.

Regards,

Kumar

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community