Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
griffosan
Contributor III
Message 1 of 9

Security Center Firewall Off Warning for Removed Firewall

Jump to solution

12/26/10 Running updated Windows XP SP3 with McAfee Security Center 10.5.221 and Antivirus 14.4.130 Dat Version 6208. McAfee recently started give repeated warnings for Jetico Personal firewall off (see Security Warning screen shot). I uninstalled Jetico personal firewall about 2 years ago via the Control Panel remove programs. I am currently using Windows Firewall, reports "On" in Windows Security Center (see screen shot). Removed all Jetico related files and registry entries I could locate, no help.

How can I stop the annoying warnings about a non-existent firewall being off when the Windows firewall reports "On"?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dinz
Former Member
Message 7 of 9

Re: Security Center Firewall Off Warning for Removed Firewall

Jump to solution
Since you were able to locate some of the inf files, try to run the McAfee removal tool from here and restart the system.
Run McAfee preinstall tool from here which would clear cookies from the browser.
Login to your McAfee account from http://us.mcafee.com/root/login.asp and reinstall the programs.
Let me know if you still have any issue post the installation.
Regards,
Dinesh K
McAfee Online Community Moderator

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 9

Jump to solution

Looks as if there are bits of that firewall still hanging around. Recheck if their web site has an uninstall tool.

Also in Navigation general settings protection alerts try ticking the box re Don't alert when firwall off. I took this to mean Mcafee firewall but could be any?

The 1st path best as you really need it to warn you if it is really off.

Try running MVT in the technical service link in Useful Links tab above. It might fix the issue but I do not expect so.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 3 of 9

Jump to solution

Hi griffosan,

First we need to check if McAfee firewal is properly installed and updated in the computer , Click on Navigation >> Click on About and check if you have McAfee personal firewall installed !!! If yes, let me know the version for the same .

Also, navigate through C:\program files --> Delete if you find any traces of your other firewall software

C:\Program files\Common files --> Delete if you find any traces of your other firewall software

C:\Documents & Settings\All users\Application data --> Delete if you find any traces of your other firewall software

Thread moved to Personal firewall section

Regards,

Dinesh K

griffosan
Contributor III
Message 4 of 9

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply. I've tried to find a Jetico unistall tool, no luck. It is strange, I removed Jetico about 2 years ago with no McAfee issues. The unwanted warnings just started recently with no change to my Mcafee Antivirus I've had for years. I'm comfortable parsing the Windows XP file and registry system. I have done many searches for Jetico related files and registry keys. Found many file bits, *.inf files, unistall files, registry keys that started Jetico services, etc. Removed all that I found, no help.

I also found and selected the navigation page "don't alert when firewall is off" check box early on. Still getting the alerts with the "don't alert" option selected.

Tried running the MVT, it found and corrected a minor registry error, but no help (see MVT results html file attached)

Tried running MVT again, it updated my DAT files, but seemed to trigger the unwanted alert when it finished (see screen shot attached)

Any ideas?

griffosan
Contributor III
Message 5 of 9

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply. I do not have McAfee personal firewall installed. Just the Antivirus and Security Center versions I noted before. I unsitalled the Jetico firewall about 2 years ago. I have run with the McAfee Anitvirus and Security Center software with no issues until just recently, when the Jetico firewall off warnings started.

I have extensively searched my file syetem, including the locations you noted below, for remaining Jetico bits. Found and removed some in Program files, Common Files, and Application Data. I also searched the registry, found and removed several keys that started Jetico sevices. No help.

At the suggestion of another response, I installed and rean the MVT. It found and corrected a minor registry issue, but no help. Please see my reply to the previous answer for MVT results details and screen shots.

Any ideas?

Peacekeeper
Message 6 of 9

Jump to solution

See what Dinz comes back with . Out of interest what happens if you click on the jetico link in security centre popup?

Some reading take care and use only if they refer to your version. Also cannot vouch for the methods use at your own risk

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=211158

http://en.kioskea.net/faq/838-uninstall-completely-jetico-personal-firewall-2

http://www.uninstallhelp.com/Uninstall-Jetico-Personal-Firewall--192226.html

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 29/12/10 2:57:19 PM
Dinz
Former Member
Message 7 of 9

Jump to solution
Since you were able to locate some of the inf files, try to run the McAfee removal tool from here and restart the system.
Run McAfee preinstall tool from here which would clear cookies from the browser.
Login to your McAfee account from http://us.mcafee.com/root/login.asp and reinstall the programs.
Let me know if you still have any issue post the installation.
Regards,
Dinesh K
griffosan
Contributor III
Message 8 of 9

Jump to solution

Thanks for the follow up.Clicking the Jetico link in the pop up just brings up the Windows Security Center that reports Window Firewall is on.

I tried following the files and registry keys noted in the links. All had been deleted already during my previous searches. No help.

Remove McAfee and full reinstall recommended by Dinz fixed it.

I'm good now. Thanks again for the quick responses.

griffosan
Contributor III
Message 9 of 9

Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick follow up. Remove and reinstall McAfee following your instructions resolved the issue. No more Jetico off warnings.

Have McAffe Personal Firewall in About screen and reported by Windows Security Center now.

I'm good now. Thanks again!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community