cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
theflyingmonkey
Former Member
Message 1 of 9

Risky Connection

Hi, I am using McAfee Internet Security and I was wondering how does McAfee determine whether or not a site/ip is risky?  I noticed that when I went to gamefaqs.com, my risky connection attempted and blocked went up by 1 or 2 counts.  I always went on gamefaqs.com and never had this happen before, but now it is happening and I checked to make sure it was gamefaqs.com by visiting the site 4 times and the total risky connection was up to about 8 or 10.

If anyone needs to know about the firewall settings, I have it set to Stealth with firefox set to outgoing.

8 Replies
theflyingmonkey
Former Member
Message 2 of 9

Re: Risky Connection

If anyone could help that would be appreciated, since I do use gamefaqs.com frequently to find out more about games and help others with their questions.  I forgot to mentioned that the ip address that is listed as a risky connection is 68.142.79.70.

Message was edited by: theflyingmonkey on 8/16/11 4:39:04 PM CDT
theflyingmonkey
Former Member
Message 3 of 9

Please if someone can help.

theflyingmonkey
Former Member
Message 4 of 9

If any moderators could help, I would appreciate it.

jaymfe
Former Member
Message 5 of 9

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. It seems that message coming from Net Guard. The Net Guard feature uses McAfee Trusted Source service to maintain a repository of known good and known bad domain names and IP address.  If you try to go to a known bad website or address, Net Guard will protect you by blocking the connection. Please find more details here: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101116

Anyway I’m not getting any issues while visiting http://www.gamefaqs.com right now. Also IP address of that website is 216.239.113.186. So I assume IP address blocked on your computer may be of any ads script IP address (ie: 68.142.79.70).

theflyingmonkey
Former Member
Message 6 of 9

Wait, so when you visit gamefaqs.com you don't have an increase in the total amount of risky connections attempted?

Because I know that the ip address 68.142.79.70 doesn't belong to gamefaqs.com, but I have NoScript installed onto my Firefox and I don't have any scripts on gamefaqs.com allowed, not even gamefaqs.com

I even tried going on my Virtual Machine which is running Ubuntu with Firefox and that has NoScript installed, and same thing.  The moment I go to gamefaqs.com, my risky connections attempted increases and if I go to Netguard in the Firewall settings and check on the details.  It said the exact time I went on gamefaqs.com and the program that last used it which was Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager.

Is there anything I can do to make sure this ip address doesn't attempt a risky connection?

thefreeman0001
Former Member
Message 7 of 9

Hi flyingmonkey

I myself have had this issue today and after checking my comp up and down to see if id gotten something and doing a bit of googling this is a recent issue with gamefaqs/gamespot.

what the popular theory is people have content in there sigs (like gifs or links) that are hosted on the ip that is owned by godaddy which is why macafee is stopping the connection. I dont believe its something harmful on our end

nor do I think its an intentional thing by other users. I noticed that a risky connection only popped up when i entered a topic a specific user with a custom sig commented in it. im also using noscript and adblocker but im not sure they work on things

people manually input on there profile so i dont think theres anything we can do aside from making the owners/moderatores aware that some people have got potentially harmful links on there site they dotn know about.

theflyingmonkey
Former Member
Message 8 of 9

I see, so it wasn't just me then?  Well, I hope that this problems get addressed by someone.  Since it would be nice to not have a risky connection being attempted for just going to gamefaqs.com

thefreeman0001
Former Member
Message 9 of 9

yeah not just you. at this point id stay off the forums bit of the site and use everything else until it gets sorted out or trying talking to a moderator about it so they know whats going on and fix it.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community