cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
temi90
Former Member
Message 1 of 9

Risk of opening ports

I'm just wondering if it's safe to open up port 139 -- doesn't that make things easier for potential hackers? I'd appreciate if a moderator would respond to this, because it's something I've been wanting to know.

Thanks.
Tags (2)
8 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 9

RE: Risk of opening ports

Port 139 NetBIOS
NetBIOS Session (TCP), Windows File and Printer Sharing
This is the single most dangerous port on the Internet. All "File and Printer Sharing" on a Windows machine runs over this port. About 10% of all users on the Internet leave their hard disks exposed on this port. This is the first port hackers want to connect to, and the port that firewalls block.

Not a port to have open do a google search on port 139

Also
http://www.speedguide.net/port.php?port=139
temi90
Former Member
Message 3 of 9

When I searched in google, I found all these warnings. However, in McAfee's website, they suggested this as a fix for sharing. That's why I asked -- I thought maybe they have some sort of safeguard in place.
What alternatives are there to enable file and printer sharing safely?
Thanks.
Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 9

I have 139 stealth and file and printer sharing enabled and have no issues though on Vista. If you are on XP GRC site has ways to setup netbios.

re sharing I run PHP and share the drives over my network this with 139 stealth is this what you are trying?

Not too hot on these type explainations
temi90
Former Member
Message 5 of 9

Thanks for your fast reply.

How do I enable stealth printer and file sharing on 139? I'm running Vista.
Peacekeeper
Message 6 of 9

Mine is on default settings in Network (right click icon) and choose properties I have 1st 4 settings on ie all prior toand including printer sharing and File and printer sharing ticke din the Local connection properties. ie manage network in former page click on Local area connection and choose properties.

I have done nothing else re these settings and mine are in stealth.

What is your port 139 state?
temi90
Former Member
Message 7 of 9

I've checked my settings and they're the same as yours. My problem is as such:
I'm a Vista PC trying to use a printer off an XP. Both are networked and can ping each other. Both have file and printer sharing enabled. Yet when I try to use the printer, I receive a message that the RPC server is unavailable. When I researched networking Vista and XP, everyone said you have to open port 139 to share files -- but since this can be dangerous, I've left mine closed. Hence, I'm stuck.

Thanks again for your help.
temi90
Former Member
Message 8 of 9

Got it!

I just worked it out by adding my Vista box's IP to the XP's list of trusted IPs. Am I correct that this is a safe fix?

Thanks so much.
Peacekeeper
Message 9 of 9

RE: Got it!

You mean allow the IP in the firewall? If so that is OK

I have an xp and vista and though getting it to work over teh network is very hard I got it (the network ) working fine but lost access of the vista PC from the Xpnull for some reason.

As I rarely need to access the vista PC from the XP 1 so I left it the way it is.

My printers are
1 serarate network connected with own Ip works fine from both and
2 connected to vista PC works fine all PCs
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community