Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
proxybox
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Remote Desktop doesn't get blocked even though firewall says it is blocked

Jump to solution

Hi, I noticed a weird behavior with the firewall.  I noticed while testing Remote Desktop on a Windows 7 machine that the Mcafee Firewall did not need to be configured to allow port 3389 to pass on the pc to allow Remote Desktop.  It's weird because Mcafee has already created a rule in the ports section (see picture) that is available but not checked.  I would assume that means that it is blocked. 

I was able to successfully remote desktop into the pc within the local subnet or from the outside Internet. 

Is this a flaw or part of the design?

Thanks,

Jon

Los Angeles, CA

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peacekeeper
Message 5 of 7

Re: Remote Desktop doesn't get blocked even though firewall says it is blocked

Jump to solution

What I got back see if anything helps

He may have the connecting system in a Trusted subnet, or just the system itself has been trusted.

He may have changed the port that mstsc listens on (I’ve done this on my home systems, so it is possible), so that port may be enabled and the standard port isn’t.

He may have connected either inbound or outbound prior to this, so if you look in Internet Connections for Programs, he might have MSTSC/RDP in the FULL ACCESS mode.

He can test if it’s open by doing a port scan from an UNtrusted system, and/or telnet to 3389 (or whatever tcp port) i.e. “telnet 192.168.1.23 3389” from a cmd prompt.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 7

Jump to solution

Interesting will ask.

proxybox
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Jump to solution

Hi, Any update?

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 7

Jump to solution

Sorry did ask but forgot to follow up here

Tech was going to reproduce the issue and report back but did not. I cahsed him up last call but I think he needs a reminder.

Email sent to him

Peacekeeper
Message 5 of 7

Jump to solution

What I got back see if anything helps

He may have the connecting system in a Trusted subnet, or just the system itself has been trusted.

He may have changed the port that mstsc listens on (I’ve done this on my home systems, so it is possible), so that port may be enabled and the standard port isn’t.

He may have connected either inbound or outbound prior to this, so if you look in Internet Connections for Programs, he might have MSTSC/RDP in the FULL ACCESS mode.

He can test if it’s open by doing a port scan from an UNtrusted system, and/or telnet to 3389 (or whatever tcp port) i.e. “telnet 192.168.1.23 3389” from a cmd prompt.

proxybox
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Jump to solution

Thanks for all your help. I'm not sure if the behavior 'fixed' itself upon reboot but now the port is closed when accessed from outside.  I verified this by engaging/disengaging the MSTSC/RDP port and identifying whether I could connect or not.  I know when I tested this when I wrote the post that outside connections were flowing through the port even if the port was unchecked.  Well, main thing is it's working now.

Peacekeeper
Message 7 of 7

Jump to solution

So you tried what I posted or it fixed itself? If it is the latter mine was not the correct answer.

Glad to see it is working

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community