Did you mean: 
jlcavor
Former Member
Message 21 of 47

Re: RE: Firewall Inbound pinging tracer don't work:

Jump to solution

CrazyChuck wrote:

Hi Jlcavor,

No nothing new. This is what Dinz said at http://community.mcafee.com/message/104809#104809 . I don't know when the next call is with the engineers?

I'm trying exercising patience but when something goes wrong with the security of our computer it's worrisome and, irritating. We my have to open a new thread at some point on this issue. We still are focused on fixing the firewall Inbound Tracer, Dinz.

Jlcavor have you in the past ever had a Trojan or, malware Quarantined? Do you have any errors uptating VirusScan or, the firewall?

Cordially,

CC

There are two computers here that started showing the inability to do an inbound ping after a recent update of the firewall software. I don't have any problems with updates now nor do I get any error messages.

CrazyChuck
Former Member
Message 22 of 47

Jump to solution

What I was looking for is what events we all have that's similar. I'm going to shut down my computer for tonight. I'll check in sometime tomorrow late. My wife and, I are going to go see at the big screen theater "Avatar".

CC

newjack
Former Member
Message 23 of 47

Jump to solution

I am also waiting for an answer on this.I have had other questions that are also unanswered.I refuse to go to tech support,because i always seem to get the standard everything is working fine.I don`t know what to do next.I even uninstalled and reinstalled.For me i don`t think i could renew for another year of this,unless something changes for the better.To many problems for me with a brand new paid subsciption to mcafee.This of coarse is not pointed at any of the community people.A few of my questions where answered and i really do appreciate the time & effort from you guys.Just frustrated and wanting to vent.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 24 of 47

Jump to solution

We were never told anything specific as to why this and sometimes the actual Visual Trace tool were not working, except they thought it used a process now blocked by many ISP's.  I'll bring it up again on the agenda of our next conference call with McAfee management.  That should be next Monday...hopefully.

The feature is not available anyway in the 2010 product so is about to disappear.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 28/12/09 5:48:55 EST PM
jlcavor
Former Member
Message 25 of 47

Jump to solution

Thanks for the update. I imagine there may be some ISPs that block pinging. To test this in my case I used the ping command in a DOS Command window to see if this might be the case. The IP addresses that I tried to trace with the McAfee tool failed as described. Simply pinging the the same IP addresses works fine. That may or may not rule out the ISP blocking cause for erroneous McAfee behavior in my case.

CrazyChuck
Former Member
Message 26 of 47

Jump to solution

It's most unfortunate that the ISP's found it necessary to implement such an assertive action on the hacker watcher computer users. It's only a matter of time before most all ISP's will place such a block.

We'll be interested in the full report after the meeting with McAfee Management I'm sure, so that proper evaluation on the 2010 McAfee security can be made.

Could you give us an address that has illustrations that would help determine what the 2010 McAfee security offers in the new security system it, would be appreciated.

Thanks again Peter for you're honest answer.

( Contraction)

Chuck

Message was edited by: CrazyChuck on 12/29/09 6:47:45 PM CST
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 27 of 47

Jump to solution

There is no visual tracing ability in the new product at all.

See the attached pictures.

CrazyChuck
Former Member
Message 28 of 47

Jump to solution

If the new McAfee product still has the "Program Permissions" options that I value most highly I think I could live with that new security system Peter. However I'm assuming that McAfee monitors the firewall and all ports afflictively.

Another thing I value most is the "Stealth" options and, never letting anyone ICMP ping my computer for any reason. Does the new McAfee allow you to manually set those options?

Message was edited by: CrazyChuck on 12/29/09 2:38:53 PM CST
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 29 of 47

Jump to solution

You are OK with that - it's only the map part of the UI that has vanished.

newjack
Former Member
Message 30 of 47

Jump to solution

THANKS EX BRIT! This was a big concern of mine as it was originally working when i activated my mcafee account.Plus i was haveing a few other weird problems,media player outbound events while computer is off,not being able to log in to forums with IE8,ect.I also had done a system restore and wondered if this was a problem?I do like the new set up as it looks a little more user friendly.There seems to be more details,which would take some of the guess work out off some of the obtions.Thanks again.

Message was edited by: newjack on 12/29/09 4:09:22 PM CST
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community