Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CrazyChuck
Former Member
Message 11 of 47

Re: RE: Firewall Inbound pinging tracer don't work:

Jump to solution

View.JPG

JIcavor: It's my understanding that Dinz is going to report this issue to McAfee engineers. I wish I could tell you something a little more positive at this time. However let me ask you this question. When you click "trace this IP address" then to your upper left facing your monitor under the ward "Visual View" with a small arrow pointing downward clicking on the arrow to "Registrant View". Does it give you any information ? Or better yet just remember if it does or, it doesn't and, any suspicions events. I've downloaded a picture of the window that I've just described. The reason I'm saying this is the engineers may need more information at some point. I'm hoping that this issue doesn't become a Pandora's Box. I have the impression that were hoping that it's just a software Cliche something simple to fix.

Cordially

CrazyChuck

jlcavor
Former Member
Message 12 of 47

Jump to solution

In the 'Visual Tracer' window, the information in 'Network View' or 'Registrant View' appears to be correct and complete as far as I can tell. The 'Map View' shows a map of the world and indicates it's pinging but it runs long and slow. It either does not ping node 1 or does so very quickly, then jumps to pinging node 2, 3, etc. Eventually it ends with the information 'Trace has completed' but there is no trace. As I mentioned this is happening on two different computers where the feature used to work before a recent McAfee update. See my earlier post for the current McAfee application revisions installed on these two computers.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 13 of 47

Jump to solution

I think the only people who can answer this are at Technical Support Chat.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 14 of 47

Jump to solution

I've been wracking my brains trying to remember something I was told ages ago regarding Visual Trace generally and finally I remembered what I did.   Try this...

In your Start menu "All programs" right-click the McAfee Security Center item and go to Properties.  Click the Compatability tab.  Click "Show Settings for All Users" and OK any prompts.

Then check the item Run as Administrator", Apply and OK.

Close McAfee SecurityCenter if still open.

Visual Tracing should work properly now.  This was fixed....supposedly, so this is only a suggestion.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 04/01/10 4:44:38 EST PM
user_102835
Former Member
Message 15 of 47

Jump to solution

Ex_Brit, in your instructions above doesn't work for XP there is no Show Settings for All Users under the compatability tab.  Is there a work around in XP?

newjack
Former Member
Message 16 of 47

Jump to solution

Did not work for win7.thanks for the try.Appreciated. 

CrazyChuck
Former Member
Message 17 of 47

Jump to solution

I want to sincerely thank you for your time talent and, efforts Ex-Brit. It's unfortunate for us in the discussions with the same problem that McAfee "Properties" it only has three tabs General, Sharing, and, Customize no "Compatibility" mod that I can find on my XP.

I'm going to shut the computer down and injoy my family see ya back Monday have a good weekend all.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 18 of 47

Jump to solution

Not having XP anymore I really don't know.   You should try Technical Support Chat.

jlcavor
Former Member
Message 19 of 47

Jump to solution

Is there any new information on this issue?

CrazyChuck
Former Member
Message 20 of 47

Jump to solution

Hi Jlcavor,

No nothing new. This is what Dinz said at http://community.mcafee.com/message/104809#104809 . I don't know when the next call is with the engineers?

I'm trying exercising patience but when something goes wrong with the security of our computer it's worrisome and, irritating. We my have to open a new thread at some point on this issue. We still are focused on fixing the firewall Inbound Tracer, Dinz.

Jlcavor have you in the past ever had a Trojan or, malware Quarantined? Do you have any errors uptating VirusScan or, the firewall?

Cordially,

CC

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community