cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gsthunder
Former Member
Message 1 of 10

Program Permission Problem

I know this should probably go into a Firewall forum but I have no idea what version FW I have? I have McAfee Security Center provided by Comcast that I just downloaded a month or two back. I didn't have this problem with the previous version/installation of Comcast McAfee SC? I had to reload it a while back so I removed it then used the clean up tool. This issue just started with this latest install.

The problem is this. The firewall is constantly asking for me to allow programs access to the internet even when they have already been granted full access. The programs are in the allow list( physically checked them )and I didn't make any mistakes such as allow only once. This is extremely frustrating as it slows me down all the time.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I am sick to death of asking McAfee directly as their answer is always the same for any problem = uninstall and reinstall the software( pain in the butt! )or they blame some other software rather than their own crappy product. Seems actual users of software on forums like this end up knowing more than the company on how to fix these things.

Windows XP Media Center( SP3 )
Spybot S&D( McAfee loves to blame this program for every problem but I have always run this problem free w/ McAfee - this problem is new )

Thank you in advance for any help.

Moved provisionally to PF10 - Mod
9 Replies
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 10

RE: Program Permission Problem

Why don't you uninstall Spybot tea timer alone and see if that makes any difference.... ( or perhaps uninstall if fully since its a free app and can be put back again later.
Which is the application that is causing this issue... is it one application or all applications?
gsthunder
Former Member
Message 3 of 10

I don't have Tea Timer installed. Just the standard Spybot program to search out and remove spyware. Removing S&D is not the solution. IT is multiple applications.
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Run the McAfee Virtual Technicain and post the session id.
SeanM-L_1re
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

I found this thread prior to posting a new entry. I have experienced the same problem, although COMCAST (nor anyone else) is involved.

Personal Firewall 10.15
Build: 10.15.103

Last update: 10/21/2009

Problem: Duplicate access permission request

Attachment show screenshots of the Personal Firewall permissions list (showing the program in question, Lavasoft's Ad-Aware ("Ad-AwareAdmin.exe") requesting permission to connect to the internet, where said program already has (full) access.

The first screenshot shows the permission list, along with the outstanding Personal Firewall request to take action (allow, deny, etc).

The second screenshot shows the duplicate entries in the program permissions table, which was automatically refreshed after granting access.

This problem has occurred with other applications, most notably with certain McAfee applications: "McNASsvc", "mcsvrcnt", "mcmscsvc" and others. (See third and fourth screenshots).

NOTE: no failures occur, no error messages and no crashes. (I suppose this is"a good thing").

A curious observation: every occurrence is marked with the message (in the first screenshot) that "ap program wants to connect". Since recent McAfee Personal Firewall updates, I do not recall seeing "The following program has changed and requests access" messages.

EDIT NOTE: according to the "priveliges" section at the bottom of the posting screen, I am not allowed to post attachments.
SeanM-L_1re
Contributor
Message 6 of 10

How can I post the screenshots referenced in my previous post? According to the forum,

"You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may edit your posts"

I have a ".doc" (WORD) file with the screen captures of the "Program Permission Problem". This problem has re-occurred since the posting.

Thanks.
SeanMc98
Contributor III
Message 7 of 10

Re: RE: Program Permission Problem

(Replying with a new "username", as the conversion seems to have poached my name)

I am attaching the screen shots referred to above (my posts under a different name).

gsthunder
Former Member
Message 8 of 10

I am STILL having this problem. Same basic thing as shown in the attachment above. Programs with full access permission continually asking again and again and again for permission every time they are accessed. I have reinstalled McAfee SC and everything. This is such a royal pain it is not even funny.

Message was edited by: gsthunder on 11/5/09 4:07 PM
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 10

How are you uninstalling the McAfee application.. could you pleas elaborate that for me please?

gsthunder
Former Member
Message 10 of 10

Uninstall/Add Remove then use the McAfee tool that gets what that missed.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community