cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
theflyingmonkey
Former Member
Message 1 of 9

Popup message about Risky Connection?

Hi, I am runnin McAfee Internet Security on Vista. My nephew was using one of my laptops yesterday and when he went to a site called yugioh.wikia to look up yugioh cards. A message appeared, being that I wasn't home and that he is in third grade. He was only about to tell me that the message said an ip address was blocked by McAfee or something. Also, there were 3 buttons, but he doesn't remember what was on the button and he said that he clicked the cancel or don't allow and the popup was gone.

I tried to recreate this event and went on yugioh.wikia, but I didn't get the popup even though the total amount of risky connections increased. If it wouldn't be too much trouble, I was wondering if any moderator could try and get the popup message and see what the message was along with what the buttons said? So a screenshot of this popup would help, since I am not sure if what he did was correct or not.

8 Replies
theflyingmonkey
Former Member
Message 2 of 9

Re: Popup message about Risky Connection?

I forgot to mention that I need the screenshot because I not really sure that he remembers what happened too well, so what he told me could be completely wrong, in regards to what the message and buttons said.

shubhaat
Former Member
Message 3 of 9

SA.pngHi ,

I tried to recreate your nephews action but got no such thing with the site you mention in fact the screen shot of the site report from SiteAdvisor looks like.  I also have MTP running with Firewall ON. Attached screenshot.

Message was edited by: shubhaat on 8/31/11 5:08:29 AM CDT

Message was edited by: shubhaat on 8/31/11 5:10:14 AM CDT
theflyingmonkey
Former Member
Message 4 of 9

Yea, the funny thing is that I checked SiteAdvisor and it says Green Check, but there is something going on that is causing the Risky Connection.  I know that I used to go on Gamefaqs.com and checking SiteAdvisor show Green Check also, but recently there were Risky Connections attempted when I went on the site.  However, the ip address didn't belong to gamefaqs.com

In case, this bit of information might help, the ip address that was listed when my nephew was using the computer was 38.99.68.181.  Upon some research, this ip is used by all wikia.com sites and SiteAdvisor lists it as Green Check, so I don't know if it is safe or not.  But if someone can recreate the popup message about a blocked Risky Connection that would be great, that way I will know if he hit the right button and whatnot.

thefreeman0001
Former Member
Message 5 of 9

is your newphew using firefox monkey? i think there might be a problem with the new firefox update. my risky connection alerts didnt start til i upgrade to the latest firefox...and tonight i got a WHOA warning from mcafee connecting to bbc news!.

theflyingmonkey
Former Member
Message 6 of 9

Yeah, since he was using my laptop. He was using Firefox, but I don't have Firefox 6. My laptop is running Firefox 3.6.20, I believe. But if you got a risky connection alert, do you think you can post a screenshot of it here, since I still haven't been able to get the alert message to show up again.

thefreeman0001
Former Member
Message 7 of 9

i keep on getting the WHOA! message when i want to go on the steam powered forums... this needs fixing -_-

theflyingmonkey
Former Member
Message 8 of 9

If you keep getting the messages whenever you go on to the steam powered forums, then do you think you can post up a screenshot of the message?  I still can't get the message to show up even though I am going to the same site my nephew went to when he got the message.

theflyingmonkey
Former Member
Message 9 of 9

Seriously, if you are stilling getting these messages it would help if you could post up a screen shot of the message.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community