cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shelley3
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Personal Firewall 11- configure attack detections?

Hi,

A few days ago, McAfee automatically updated my version of Virus Scan Plus, Firewall, etc. I now have Virus Scan version 14 and Personal Firewall version 11.0.

My question is as follows:

Under the settings of the Firewall there are settings for  11 "attack detections".  The were all marked "no" to not detect these attacks.  I in turn changed them all to "yes" but I am not sure if I did the right thing.  On the info page it says that applying some of these may cause PC problems.  I am not sure what to do, can someone help me please?  I have no idea what each of them means.  Should I leave them all as "yes" to dectect them or "no"?

Perhaps there are specific ones that should be marked? I do not know what the default settings are and am afraid to change them as I don't want the rest of my settings changed.

If anyone can help me, I would appreciate your advice very much.

Thanks in advance,

Shelley

Windows XP SP 3 IE 8

7 Replies
DoZe
Former Member
Message 2 of 8

Re: Personal Firewall 11- configure attack detections?

I'd like to know this also, anyone can answer ?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 8

Technical Support Chat (Useful Links above) would know more about the technical side of the firewall but it does say quite distinctly there that McAfee recommends that you do not change these settings, so I personally wouldn't mess with them.   Clicking Learn More opens the help pages.

Setting them to yes will most likely mean that you will be flooded with visual warnings every time an attack is detected (& repelled).

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 10/07/10 3:32:10 EDT PM
DoZe
Former Member
Message 4 of 8

So basically it's better to have my computer vulnerable to all thoes attacks rather then have some warnings every time someone tries to attack me is that correct ?

I tried to ask Technical Support this question also as you suggested but they seem to have no clue about this , it's like talking to rocks

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 8

If you want to be bothered by warnings constantly then that's your prerogative but those items are all failed attempts at penetrating the firewall.

DoZe
Former Member
Message 6 of 8

Oh i see,now this makes sence , i thot i was not at all protected against thoes attacks since they wher marked as No , as in not to be detected. Thanks for the info

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 8

It's a good question as to why those are "No"...I will ask it on our Monday afternoon conference call with McAfee and let you know why these are preset to "No".

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 8

OK, am on the conference call.  Apparently these are obsolete (ancient) detections that just don't happen any more but enabling them wont harm anything.  Conversely, having them disabled does not leave you open to any risk at all.  Apparently some programmer forgot to remove them from the list.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 12/07/10 4:28:03 EDT PM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community