AvertSystems
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

Opening Port seems backwards?

Jump to solution

Hi--

This has me troubled...

I have a website hosted on a PC on port 5051.  I can access it locally by:

http://192.168.1.71:5051  (ie. the local LAN address, port 5051)

no problem

i want to allow public access. so, i port-forwarded my router so it will send access to port 5051 to that local PC (192.168.1.71:5051)

still no problem.

here's the backwards part:

in my McAfee - Firewall - Ports and System Services

when there is NO "open port" in the list (ie. the list is blank) everything runs fine 

BUT if i "setup a new system port" by clicking "add" and use

systen service name = wsite

system service category = website

local TCP/IP ports: 5051

open ports to "pcs in work and home networks only"  (this doesn't matter what i choose, same result)

and save?  and make sure it's checked in the list?

i no longer can access http://192.168.1.71:5051

it's blocked by the firewall?  in the security history list? it comes up as "suspicious incoming network connected blocked... PC tried to access port TCP 5051.  the source IP address is on your local network.  TCP port 5051 is commonly used by the ITA Agent service or program.

why does it BLOCK access when i have the port OPEN  but  let's access when it's closed?

thanks

kelly

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
karthiks
Former Member
Message 5 of 8

Re: Opening Port seems backwards?

Jump to solution

AvertSystems,

Disable the Net guard feature and try accessing the site by opening the port also let me know the version of McAfee you are running on the PC

View solution in original post

7 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 8

Jump to solution

I don't know too much about Port Forwarding but in my SecurityCenter > Firewall at least, there's a "Learn More" link when trying to add a port and forward it....perhaps you need to follow the advice given there and add the connection IP?   It links to the appropriate help section.

Technical Support would know for sure.  It's a free phone call or online chat away and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 27/03/13 3:33:55 EDT PM
AvertSystems
Former Member
Message 3 of 8

Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick reply

It's not so much the port forwarding, in fact, we can ignore that.

even on local lan access only, it's "backwards"

i ADD the port (5051) that the pc hosting the website is listening on for access to the website

ie. i open the port in the mcafee firewall using "ports and system services"  AND  other PCs on the LAN cannot access the website because the firewall is blocking it.

when I remove the "opened" port from the "open port list" in mcafee?  i can access the website again.

i went through the "learn more" links and they read how it should work (no access unless the port is in the open port list)  BUT  my experience is the opposite... port NOT in open port list = access;  port IN open port list = no access / firewall blocks it

thanks

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 8

Jump to solution

It's weird I know.   I think Tech Support is your best bet.

karthiks
Former Member
Message 5 of 8

Jump to solution

AvertSystems,

Disable the Net guard feature and try accessing the site by opening the port also let me know the version of McAfee you are running on the PC

AvertSystems
Former Member
Message 6 of 8

Jump to solution

thanks for the trick.

interestingly?  once i did that?  i could turn net gaurd back on and the port stayed "open".

perfect.  thanks

version of security center: 11.6  build 11.6.477

firewall 12.6.186

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 8

Jump to solution

Glad it's OK now, thanks Karthik.

karthiks
Former Member
Message 8 of 8

Jump to solution

Thanks for posting back. Great day ahead

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community