cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
theflyingmonkey
Former Member
Message 1 of 18

Network Connections added after update

I am using McAfee Internet Security on a Vista Home 64-bit. Today my Security Center and 6 other things in McAfee updated. I know my Security Center is now 12.8.750, and that I received a big update on 8/20 which updated the same components to 12.8.310.

After the update I restarted my computer and I was getting Limited Connectivity from my router wirelessly. I restarted my computer couple more times (4 times) before it recognized my network had Internet connectivity. However, this isn't my problem.

Once my network icon showed internet connectivity, I opened McAfee and went to My Network Connections and there was 2 networks. The networks were 192.168.16.0-192.168.16.255 Home Wired added/last changed 12/30/1899. The other network was 192.168.172.0-192.168.172.255 Home Wired added/last changed 12/30/1899. My router/network doesn't use the 16.0 or 172.0 subnets and these entries weren't there until today after the update.

Some additional information is that during the time I was checking for updates, McAfee logged blocked incoming connections from 8.21.161.6, 8.21.161.7, 23.79.176.60, and 23.79.184.79. Maybe these might be related to this issue.

So can anyone explain why these 2 networks were added to My Network Connections as well as the strange 12/30/1899 date? Obivously, I don't have those ip ranges for my router, I didn't add them and I use only my wirelesess network.

Could this be the work of a worm or something? I didn't even do anything yet as I just went on my computer and updated McAfee and from Sunday till now (Tuesday), I hadn't use my computer and it was fine on Sunday. I even did my weekly scan that Sunday with the latest engine.

17 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 18

Re: Network Connections added after update

I have exactly the same thing in mine, including that weird date and have no idea why.  It is definitely not an infection but must be a glitch.   Rather than ask you to contact Technical Support I will ask someone in support to check in with this thread.

MSC 12.8.750 in Vista Ultimate SP2 x64.   Mine was a fresh installation.

znetwork1.JPG

znetwork2.JPG

znetwork3.JPG

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 28/08/13 7:03:35 EDT AM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 18

Actually the first attempts at radio as wireless was then called were in 1872...but the only trouble with that revelation is that the Internet wasn't yet invented and Mr. McAfee wasn't even a twinkle in anyone's eye.

LOL

😉

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 18

I have no idea how long it will take for my contact to post in this thread so it may be a good idea to start a case with Technical Support anyway...it's free after all and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

At least that way they will be able to work on it as a bug.

theflyingmonkey
Former Member
Message 5 of 18

I guess I am not the only one.

Just out of curious, any idea if this glitch shows up on desktops that don't have wireless capability?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 18

I don't know.  I certainly don't have wireless set up on this one, if one can discount Bluetooth mouse and keyboard of course.

I think the software must read the netwoirk differently in the firewall than it does in actual Network.

I'm tempted to delete all the items under Firewall and see what happens..... wonder of they'd rebuild themselves or what?

theflyingmonkey
Former Member
Message 7 of 18

Here is another thing I noticed. On my Windows 7 machine, the same thing happened. But I checked my Firewall settings and saw that extra entries were added to the System Services.

In particular for my Windows 7 machine, the FTP, Microsoft SQL Server, RPC, UPnP, HomeGroup services were added again. So now in the System Services menu, there are 2 entries for UPnP, RPC, etc.

On my Vista its the same without the HomeGroup. So can anyone confirm this and can I remove/delete the extra entries that were added due to the update? I checked the ports and name listed in McAfee and they are identical. With the exception that the extra UPnP was checked whereas my original entry is still unchecked.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 18

I'm not sure, I deleted everything and nothing was replaced, I had to add it myself.    I'm hoping someone from support will step in here, I did ask.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/09/13 1:38:28 EDT PM
selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 9 of 18

Hi Peter,

Will check it Today and post the results from my Machine.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 18

Thanks Selvan.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community