Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
deathstalker
Former Member
Message 1 of 10

Net Guard is blocking Yahoo sites? Why?

Jump to solution

It started today. Mcafee is constantly blocking www.yahoo.com, including uk.yahoo.com, malaysia.yahoo.com and several others I've tested. It showed me this IP 106.10.170.118.

I've checked www.yahoo.com at www.siteadvisor.com and it shows up clean. It this a false positive? Please fix this.

Also, if this is a false positive, I would like Mcafee to have a reset feature for my security reports. I do not like having so many "risky connections blocked" that are not even actual threats and may well be legit sites.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
deathstalker
Former Member
Message 7 of 10

Re: Net Guard is blocking Yahoo sites? Why?

Jump to solution

Thanks to all who answered. Case is solved, and a speedy one that was!

I recommend that anyone who face similar problems (website blocked by TrustedSource / SiteAdvisor / Mcafee Firewall) to bring up their case to Mcafee through the original guide provided by  Ex_Brit below:

https://community.mcafee.com/message/66185#66185

Email Mcafee to ask for a review of the blocked IPs and get a response within hours!

support@siteadvisor.com

sites@mcafee.com

Mcafee reviewed the IP and unblocked the site again within HOURS! Kudos! I was pleasantly surprised by the speed of their action.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 10

Jump to solution

It may not be a false positive. All I can get on this is that TrustedSource is flagging that IP address as High Risk, indicating there's a problem - malware or other - on the server.

The host of that IP address is "ir1.fp.vip.sg3.yahoo.com" and it's a Yahoo server located in Singapore at Peninsula Corporate Park. It's not yet in any blacklists.

If you want to take this up with Yahoo there is an email address for technical questions -

network(-at-)yahoo-inc.com

Message was edited by: Hayton on 31/12/12 00:03:06 GMT
deathstalker
Former Member
Message 3 of 10

Jump to solution

What can I do in the meantime, waiting for both Mcafee and Yahoo to sort out this problem? Will a DNS flushing do the trick? Maybe I can connect to a different IP address that is safe instead of the one in question?

deathstalker
Former Member
Message 4 of 10

Jump to solution

OK, tried flushing dns, no luck still. I hope to be able to use Yahoo again soon. Any Mcafee support team members, please help out.

deathstalker
Former Member
Message 5 of 10

Jump to solution

Ok, I've asked one of my friends who lives in the same area as me, and he's also using the same Mcafee SecurityCenter. He is not getting this problem when opening www.yahoo.com. Why? I've even asked him whether his settings are the same as mine, turns out we have the same settings.

I've tested many websites since, everything can load fine, just yahoo was blocked.

karthiks
Former Member
Message 6 of 10

Jump to solution

Deathstalker,

Requesting you not to post the same issue in different threads which confuse the moderators where to response, I have sent out a communication regarding this issue to the concern team so will update you once i get the response

Message was edited by: karthiks on 1/1/13 1:38:31 PM CST
deathstalker
Former Member
Message 7 of 10

Jump to solution

Thanks to all who answered. Case is solved, and a speedy one that was!

I recommend that anyone who face similar problems (website blocked by TrustedSource / SiteAdvisor / Mcafee Firewall) to bring up their case to Mcafee through the original guide provided by  Ex_Brit below:

https://community.mcafee.com/message/66185#66185

Email Mcafee to ask for a review of the blocked IPs and get a response within hours!

support@siteadvisor.com

sites@mcafee.com

Mcafee reviewed the IP and unblocked the site again within HOURS! Kudos! I was pleasantly surprised by the speed of their action.

karthiks
Former Member
Message 8 of 10

Jump to solution

Glad to hear! Thanks for sharing your inputs to resolve the problem

Message was edited by: karthiks on 1/2/13 10:27:58 AM CST
AmethystBrooch
Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Jump to solution
Thank you! Yahoo is constantly hijacking Google as my search engine. I am so sick of Yahoo. What idiot thought THAT was a great business model ... making yourself a nuisance?! Way to go, McAfee!
AmethystBrooch
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Jump to solution
Nooooo! Get that nuisance e off my computer! Please!!!
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community