Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 11 of 25

Re: Net Guard blocking a "minimal risk" rated site

Jump to solution

My Chrome doesn't cause Netguard to alert with that URL either either.  Perhaps it's under your Firewall > Internet Connections for Programs > Google Chrome settings?

I have Netguard on and permission both incoming and outgoing set there.

Version 58.0.3029.81 (64-bit)

amererodent
Former Member
Message 12 of 25

Jump to solution

Thanks folks. In the end I deleted the site from Netguard's blocked list in my firewall settings and it's remained unblocked since then. How Netguard got the idea to block the site in the first place I've no idea - it clearly had nothing to do with the site's reputation.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 13 of 25

Jump to solution

I'm glad it's solved.   Good luck

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 14 of 25

Jump to solution

Glad all is okay

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 15 of 25

Jump to solution

Locking as this has been correctly Answered.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 16 of 25

Jump to solution

I unlocked this post because the reason for the NetGuard block was not determined.

The McAfee Threat Intelligence page is still showing that IP address as Red in the Web category.

So I looked up a few sites to check whether the address was blacklisted, and why that might be.

The reason is that over the past 6 months - and within the last week - that address has been flagged for sending out spam emails and spam URLs by Project Honeypot. That means it is classified as a Bad Host. McAfee is picking up that information and passing it to NetGuard, which then blocks the IP address.

See 184.106.55.83 | Bad Web Host | IP Address Inspector | Project Honey Pot

However, this may be a false positive. None of the anti-spam sites at this time are flagging that address, and according to Cisco Senderbase the alerts may be triggered because the volume of mail coming from the IP address is not constant, but comes in bursts with some short-lived spikes. This may be indicative of a spam email campaign, but it may be a normal and innocent pattern of sending emails. Senderbase gives it a Neutral rating.  See  Look Up - SenderBase

urlquery gives the IP address a Pass but notes that over the past few weeks some websites hosted on it have appeared on blacklists.  See http://urlquery.net/report.php?id=1493571986017

Conclusion : Netguard is picking up and acting on an alert which may be either a false positive or is out-of-date.

However, it's worth keeping an eye on those sites, especially if NetGuard blocks it again.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 17 of 25

Jump to solution

No problem, however the OP did state their issue was resolved.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 18 of 25

Jump to solution

Resolved for now, yes. But it may be a recurrent problem if that pattern of email activity from the IP address continues.

I agree though, let's treat it as resolved for the time being.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 19 of 25

Jump to solution

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 20 of 25

Jump to solution

But why is it not blocking it when I go there?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community