cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user_14892
Contributor II
Message 1 of 15

My Win 10 PC loses network connection. Disabling Firewall allows it to work. How can I get McAfee to not interfere with my network?

Jump to solution

Other PC's work fine on my home network.  Just the Win 10 is having troubles.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
user_14892
Contributor II
Message 12 of 15

Re: My Win 10 PC loses network connection. Disabling Firewall allows it to work. How can I get McAfee to not interfere with my network?

Jump to solution

Well, thank goodness for System Restore.  It says it did not complete correctly, but it looks like it did.

To be safe, I took Malwarebytes out of quarantine first.

No way to back out Adwclean changes that I could find.

Never again will I use those.

I have my apps and customizations back.

I have restarted McAfee, and it comes up now.  I went ahead and turned the firewall back on.  We'll see what happens.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 15

Re: My Win 10 PC loses network connection. Disabling Firewall allows it to work. How can I get McAfee to not interfere with my network?

Jump to solution

Moved from Community Support to Personal Firewall >Discussions

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 15

Jump to solution

This is a known issue on certain set-ups, and was discussed during our Conference call this past Monday. Our Internal Tier 2.5 Technician/Engineer is investigating the issue. Could you kindly provide the Version/Build you are running? 14.0.R12?

In addition the New (Lam) Version /Build 15.0R0/15.1.156 will begin to be throttled out again the latter part of March. I am currently running it myself, and experience no issues.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 15

Jump to solution

Also please make certain you have Windows Defender (Disabled) as it is incompatible with your McAfee software, unlike prior OS, in Windows 10 it has Anti-Virus capabilities.

Try setting your Personal Firewall back to the (Default) settings.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
user_14892
Contributor II
Message 5 of 15

Jump to solution

Yes, I am on 14.0 R12.  The software says it is up to date.  Windows Defender is turned off. 

I will say that McAfee is taking  f o r e v e r  to do anything.  It takes ~3-5 minutes to come up, ~2-4 minutes to get the About screen, I clicked on home 10 minutes ago to no avail.  I will (eventually, when it comes up) set the firewall to default.  (As far as I know, it has always been set to factory settings.)

I keep thinking that perhaps I have a virus, but I ran a full scan a couple of days ago.  It found one issue, and I quarantined it.  This has not kept my problem from happening.

I wonder if I should uninstall and reinstall.  I upgraded this past summer from Win 8 to Win 10.  Could this have impacted McAfee?  Would a reinstall help?

Thanks!

Peacekeeper
Message 6 of 15

Jump to solution

Does disabling the firewall allow things to work? Do not leave it so just a test i would like made. Are all other PCs 14.0.R12?

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 15

Jump to solution

Thank you for your input. Since disabling your Firewall  seems to allow you to connect to the internet, are you still experiencing performance issues? I am uncertain if a Uninstall/Reinstall will resolve your problems? McAfee is aware of some issues ongoing with this Version/Build, especially running Windows 10.

They are currently working on a fix. Just to get a (Second Opinion), to ease your concerns of having a infection. I suggest that you take a look at these Superb (Free) applications. 

Preferably try running Malwarebytes (Free) and follow up with Malwarebytes AdwCleaner.

Please let us know your results...

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 15

Jump to solution

Also you can also try running the latest MVT tool and see if it finds any problems and attempts to fix them. If not with-in that same link you can contact Technical Support 24/7 free of charge.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
user_14892
Contributor II
Message 9 of 15

Jump to solution

Catdaddy,

HELP!!!!

As I had mentioned, the non-Windows 10 PC's in my household run fine, but it is my Windows 10 PC that is having trouble.

As I mentioned earlier, the only way I can get to the internet on this PC is to have the firewall off.

So I tried a number of the actions you recommended.

Before I first filed my question, I tried McAfee scan, and it found 3 items, and I allowed it to quarantine them.

Based on your recommendation, I tried MVT, and the first time it found 3 or 4 items, and I allowed it to fix them.  It recommended running again.  I ran it 2 more times, and each time it said it found an item.  I allowed it to fix them, so I figured it would go on finding one item.

I let the computer run for a few days.  No problems but no improvement.

This evening, I tried Malwarebytes.  It found 73 items, and I allowed it to quarantine them.

Then I tried adwcleaner.  It found 52 threats, and I allowed it to clean them.

Now my PC is a TOTAL WRECK!!!!

It cleared ALL customization from all the accounts on my PC.  When I first get in, it says it is configuring Windows.  Once in, it indicates it cannot log me in and has me either "Log Out" or "Dismiss". 

This was true both for my account on which I use MS OneDrive and also on my local-only account on which I don't have OneDrive configured.

I cannot see my documents.  It has cleared my toolbar, my start menu.  I don't see Microsoft Office Apps.  I can't get into Outlook to get my email.  This is a mess.

Is there any way to back out of what I just did?

Any help you can provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 15

Jump to solution

Do you have your *Auto Renewal* settings enabled? If not, please enable them and contact Technical Support. McAfee has  ( Pledge ) to remove any virus at no cost to you. https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/cp/home/contact   Via Phone/Online Chat the quickest.

Please read this: https://community.mcafee.com/message/432478#432478

Also keep in mind that if needed, you can revert back to an earlier point in time,when your system was functioning properly,by utilizing *System Restore*

Please inform us if they resolve your issue

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community