cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SreejithS
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

My Internet connection is very slow and firewall blocks my DNS

I am using McAfee Antivirus v16 on my Windows 11 laptop and my internet connection takes time to resolve a new website . Sometimes it just keep connecting until I go to the firewall settings of Mcafee and turns off the firewall. I think Mcafee is blocking my DNS requests. I can see the following messages in my security history.

The PC 8.8.8.8 tried to connect to TCP port 65143 on your PC without your permission
The source IP address is your own DNS server.

I am using the Stealth Mode in the Firewall Traffic Controller Settings

I am using the following DNS settings for my WiFi

IPV4 DNS Servers
8.8.8.8 (Encrypted preferred)
8.8.4.4 (Encrypted preferred)

IPV6 DNS Servers
2001:4860:4860::8888 (Encrypted preferred)
2001:4860:4860::8844 (Encrypted preferred)

4 Replies
Hari_durairaj
Message 2 of 5

Re: My Internet connection is very slow and firewall blocks my DNS

Hi @SreejithS 

We regret for the inconvenience!

Please let us know the following to assist you better

1. Operating system details (Build Version)
  2. Screen shots of issue (speed of the internet - with and without McAfee)
  3. McAfee Version

Alternatively, You can always contact the chat support using below link for immediate assistance.

McAfee Support

Regards,
Hari

SreejithS
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Hi, Thanks for the reply
My Os Build is 22000.795 and edition is Windows 11 Home Single Language.

The speed in which DNS is resolved is the issue. I think the firewall is blocking the DNS request and this will slow down websites.  It happens often when the browser will wait with the loading icon without loading any content . when it happens I will turn off the  firewall and I can see the website started loading quickly. This behaviour is observed in Firefox and Chrome.

I have also shared the message from my Mcafee security history in my first post. It shows the DNS server at 8.8.8.8 is trying to connect to a port in my machine. A similar message is also found with the IP of the website of my client. I don't have a reason to believe that the client webserver will try to connect to a random port in my machine. Is this a man in the middle type of attack?

Which type of encryption is preferred for the DNS settings ? I was using "Encrypted preferred"  now i have changed it to "Unencrypted" right now.

SreejithS
Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Hi , Please check my reply

SreejithS
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Hello,

Please suggest a solution. I am still waiting for a reply.  I think I made a bad decision to buy the subscription again for Mcafee. Is it possible to get a refund with 252 days remaining in my subscription?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community