cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
billy6139
Former Member
Message 1 of 7

Must turn off firewall to stream music,photos from pc to tv via wireless router-apple tv

My operating system is Windows 8.1 with internet security suite powered by McAfee. In order for me to stream my photos and music in Itunes from my computer through my at&t U-verse router then through my apple tv to my HD tv. I have to turn the firewall off in my McAfee security suite. Any solutions? would appreciate all help as McAfee tells me I must go through At&t and At&t tells me I must go through McAfee tech support. thanks

6 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 7

Re: Must turn off firewall to stream music,photos from pc to tv via wireless router-apple tv

Is there a port that you have to open/allow I do not use this method so uncertain as to what to open or allow in the firewall settings. With AT&T I thought they did teh Mcafee support so best I ask a high level tech to sort this out.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 3 of 7

Re: Must turn off firewall to stream music,photos from pc to tv via wireless router-apple tv

Hi billy6139,

Does your system uses WiDi (WiFi - Direct) Technology to stream videos to TV etc. If so we have a separate group here discussing it.

If you are unsure about the above said Technology then here's one step that you can try.

Check for applications/Processes that are running in the Background while Firewall is OFF. (Open Task Manager > More detail > Select Details tab > See the processes that relate to Streaming.

Now you need to add these Processes through McAfee's Personal Firewall (McAfee UI > Web and Email Protection > Firewall > Settings > Internet connections for Programs > Add > Choose the Process from Program Files > Give Full Internet Access and Turn OFF Netguard.

If you are not comfortable doing this Tech Support is ready to do this for you > Click Useful links above and select Tech Support

djfil
Former Member
Message 4 of 7

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2463

• TCP port 3689 is used to communicate with iTunes while using the iTunes Library Sharing feature.
  • UDP port 5353 is used by Apple TV for automatically finding computers with iTunes on your network using Bonjour.

That will help you.  Open those ports in the McAfee Firewall under Ports and System Services.  Other ones listed in the Apple support article shouldn't need to be opened, as they are already common use.

Message was edited by: djfil on 7/14/14 2:05:36 PM CDT
togo1919
Former Member
Message 5 of 7

I posted this one in another thread:

I was having success in connecting to my home laptop from my Apple TV using Home Sharing only when I disabled McAfee Firewall on my laptop.

I ran a sniffer test during a successful Home Sharing session with the Firewall off.

I was indeed seeing TCP 3689 and UDP 5353 used for communication, as expected and shared in many forums.

I found something I did not expect.  The Apple TV was sending ICMP within a UDP datagram.

I enabled ICMP ping requests in the Smart Advice and Advanced Settings tab on the McAfee Firewall.

I then did the following:

1. Restarted my Apple TV.

2. Rebooted my Computer

3. Launched iTunes

I am now able to reach my home laptop successfully with iTunes Home Sharing.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 7

Moved appropriately to Personal Firewall-By Moderator

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 7

As Post #4 by was considered a "Correct Answer" in another similar thread. Could you possibly try his/her suggestions, and post back your results?  Here is the thread:

All the very best,

Catdaddy

McAfee Volunteer Moderator

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community