Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zargoscus
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

Multiple intruders detected

Jump to solution

hello there my name is Jack and i have been a McAfee consumer for 4 years now and up until this point i have had no troubles with mcafee or my personal security. i mainly use my computer for school, work, and games off of steam. im a cautious person when it comes to the internet but when i saw this my heart sank and now i might be slightly panicking since i just started this new account/discussion thread and that im here now.

So context i have my firewall setting to stealth, intrusion detection to high. i have never had more than 1 or 2 intrusions detected over the past 4 years on multiple pc's (all mcafee) then just now-ish i went to run my full scan as i always do every couple of weeks and in the bottom right is the little pop-up info on the main screen of mcafee and it said 70 intruders and hackers blocked in the past month so i proceeded to have an accelerated cranial release (my head exploded)

so from there i finished my scan nothing and went to my security history and checked to see where all these occurred and how often for the past month, they varied in intervals of 20min or less. then i proceeded to google and checked the locations of the IP intruders and found that they were random across other school campuses and random neighborhoods (no where near me) and they were all different ip's none of them repeating. and they are persistent and are consistent for the past few days/weeks

then i tried an experiment and went to my firewall and blocked all traffic in and out ,unsurprising my IP from my router turned up every few seconds but then this showed up

fe80:c520:dad:c6c6:c17

and they were far more frequent within 10-20 secs of each other.

Whats happening how can i fix it

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
zargoscus
Former Member
Message 3 of 5

Re: Multiple intruders detected

Jump to solution

Yes, i can understand that and thank you for clarifying the IPv6 its just i have had these settings for all my computers and never had i have so many things blocked before. yes i understand the program window will pop-up and i do respond to those and determine if it is part-access, always allow, or block. but never had i have so many in so few a time(blocked intruders), mind you i have never changed my pattern in regards to my computer use.  i was thinking could my browser be hijacked or something? its just worry some because i have never had this situation before. i checked my security report and under total activity i have had 6540 incoming connections blocked (not worried about, seen this before on my other pc's it is expected) but having 70 intrusions blocked is what is causing my concerns and is out of the norm for me and this occured in the past month only.

thank you for taking the time to respond to me and answering my lack of knowledge concerns im very grateful.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 5

Jump to solution

Moved this to Consumer >  Personal Firewall as that's basically what this is about.

That fe80 string is what is known as a "Link local IPv6 address" and is most likely to do with how you connect to your ISP.

Those types of addresses are only just beginning to be utilized by ISP's since the old IP system has run out of numbers.

Open your Network and Sharing Center in Windows and click details on this Window:

Capture.JPG

The ISP can probably help you out by explaining that.   They control all that and if you temporarily blocked all traffic it would be bound to show up along with any IPv4 addresses (the older IP number system).

Believe me regarding all the other entries in your Security History, it is not unusual for literally hundreds of entries to show up there as blocked.  A lot depends on how good your router is at blocking stuff and your ISP as to what they let through.

With a Firewall setting higher than Smart Access you will also see a lot of pop-ups when programs and applications require access.

You have no need to worry.

zargoscus
Former Member
Message 3 of 5

Jump to solution

Yes, i can understand that and thank you for clarifying the IPv6 its just i have had these settings for all my computers and never had i have so many things blocked before. yes i understand the program window will pop-up and i do respond to those and determine if it is part-access, always allow, or block. but never had i have so many in so few a time(blocked intruders), mind you i have never changed my pattern in regards to my computer use.  i was thinking could my browser be hijacked or something? its just worry some because i have never had this situation before. i checked my security report and under total activity i have had 6540 incoming connections blocked (not worried about, seen this before on my other pc's it is expected) but having 70 intrusions blocked is what is causing my concerns and is out of the norm for me and this occured in the past month only.

thank you for taking the time to respond to me and answering my lack of knowledge concerns im very grateful.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 5

Jump to solution

Who knows why.  Maybe your ISP has changed something, a server for instance, or maybe it's simply coincidence.  At least they are being stopped.  As I said, mine stops literally hundreds daily.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 5

Jump to solution

Locking this discussion as it has been 'Correctly Answered'

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community