Did you mean: 
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 21 of 29

Re: Microsoft breach

Jump to solution

Thread unlocked.

I was very annoyed to get a Jive error when I attempted to post the following.

@epository :

Where you post a question is relevant, since McAfee employees monitor the Business section and you are more likely to get an informed answer there about progress in countering CVE-2014-1776 than you are here.

McAfee is a Microsoft MAPP partner so you might want to keep an eye on

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/dn568129

The page for CVE-2014-1776 does not yet contain any information either.

FireEye are hinting that this is the work of a state-sponsored group with access to multiple zero-days. How urgent a fix for this vulnerabilty is probably depends on the likelihood that an APT group would be targeting your organisation. You give the impression that your people are getting somewhat edgy about this ... but we're only volunteer mods in this section, McAfee don't usually give us privileged info.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 22 of 29

Jump to solution

OK fine.   But this is not epository's thread and the OP's original question was answered, plus epository has another thread of his/her own anyway.    I surrender.   But I'm sure the OP doesn't like his thread being hijacked by an Enterprise custome who has so many enhanced resources at his/her fingertips with which to  enquire about this.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 28/04/14 10:33:18 EDT AM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 23 of 29

Jump to solution

OK I heard back from the labs contact I have.

Analysis is ongoing and should figure in the next MTIS update.

MTIS is the security advisory which comes out regularly from McAfee Labs.

epository
Former Member
Message 24 of 29

Jump to solution

Ex_Brit......if McAfee has done anything kindly provide the link.

Since you apparently don't know either, and every other major AV vendor is addressing the issue...well, I'll leave the logic up to you.

They certainly havent released anything via Threat Center, and they certainly havent addressed in a Threat Advisory.......so rather than beating me up, why dont you look to

your McAfee and find some answers for those of us sweating out in the real world.

epository
Former Member
Message 25 of 29

Jump to solution

The other thread has not received any response from anyone either.....so, I found this thread addressing the same vulnerability.

My main issue is McAfee's unwillingness to even update the customer that they acknowlege the threat or even post an update.

I get to go to these meetings with nothing by my pencil in my hand and try to answer the customer's questions.

Snotty comments and unrealistic solutions from the types like Ex_Brit dont really help and certainly dont address the issue.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 26 of 29

Jump to solution

What did I just say...I passed on that it is being dealt with, what more can I add?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 27 of 29

Jump to solution

Why are you continuing this in someone else's thread when you already have one of your own?

I'm not being snotty, just trying to keep the forums in order and sparing the owner of this thread further emails.

You know where the Enterprise Portal is why aren;t you phoning them?

hafcanadian
Former Member
Message 28 of 29

Jump to solution

As the OP I feel I must contribute that I can see both sides of the controversy.  And that as mentioned, my question was answered pretty much right off the bat by both moderators;  it is appreciated.

There have been several McAfee updates since, and one took awhile on both Vista and XP, and as I recall a reboot of at least one of them.  Although special notices from McAfee might be greatly appreciated or even expected by some customers, especially those in the business community or with significant cyber knowledge, it is not something I give much thought to one way or the other in my home environment.  As long as there is a threat and I see that my security program is updating regularly, I have to believe all is being done that is possible.  I don't need special communications from McAfee like larger entities might want or expect during known threat periods.

I think the moderators' replies here have been without reproach and certainly not "snotty".  They appear totally respectful to me, and by any regard they have been quite tolerant.  This is the wrong place to carry on with the same complaint, especially when the original question has been answered, the discussion has gone to essentially another topic, and even that topic has been answered to the best it could be. 

Not that there might not be validity to the complaint;  it's just that it won't get resolved here and the complainant would be best served spending his and our time in a better venue.  With so much on his plate, apparently, a phone call to McAfee seems like a far more efficient and prudent route to vent a valid complaint and perhaps get some degree of satisfaction so he can return to his work.

-hafcanadian

Message was edited by: hafcanadian on 4/28/14 4:58:17 PM CDT

Message was edited by: hafcanadian on 4/28/14 4:59:44 PM CDT
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 29 of 29

Jump to solution

I also heard back from my contact at McAfee Labs.

These are 2 documents that were published yesterday on this topic.

http://blogs.mcafee.com/mcafee-labs/product-coverage-mitigation-cve-2014-1776-microsoft-internet-exp...

https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-5897 (McAfee Labs Security Advisory: MTIS14-066)

Customers subscribed to the MTIS Advisories would have got an mail with McAfee Product coverage.

At which juncture and as this is someone else's thread that had previously been marked as answered, I will now lock it.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 29/04/14 6:28:58 EDT AM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community