cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peacekeeper
Message 171 of 199

Re: Mcafee Firewall is blocking my internet access intermittently...HELP

Jump to solution

Back then we followed normal rules re what can cause that once we notice a high number of posts we refer this up the line. Atm we have what 16 users with this issue out of 40 million users and not many actually reporting the issue to support. None of the mods or techs we talk to have this issue so something that is installed on the 16 PCs or hardware related  could be the cause. That is why we stirred Mcafee and a tech is gathering logs from 1 or 2 of the users here once gathered when the issue occurs the logs will hopefully enable a fix to be undertaken. Mcafee fixed a recent crash issue in 3 weeks as it was reproduced in house this issue can not be thus things go a tad slow.

2012 issue was also a netguard issue in that disabling it was the suggested workaround. I will get a McAfee tech to comment as we are unpaid helpers here.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 172 of 199

Jump to solution

- a 2010 issue has nothing to do with this as the software has changed totally since then so most likely this is a case of 2 items of software clashing on certain machines only.

Stop maligning the volunteers or you will be banned.  Please remember you are here as a guest of Intel/McAfee.   Guests can be ejected..

ovgray
Contributor II
Message 173 of 199

Jump to solution

I appreciate and commend the efforts of the volunteers, whether those efforts ultimately lead to a resolution of this problem or not.

That said, I suggest it is not reasonable to treat the ratio of users reporting the problem here to the entire installed base as a measure of the size of this problem.

This is an intermittent problem. It goes away (temporarily) after about 10 minutes even if nothing is done. Rebooting -- the average user's response to any serious problem -- will resolve it temporarily.

I doubt that more than a very small percentage of the installed base could identify McAfee as a possible cause of a problem of this sort, and then prove the hypothesis by turning Firewall off and then on again during a blockage, and finding that that brings the blockage to an end. A percentage of those might  disbelieve a McAfee "technician's" claim that the software is not the problem. A percentage of those might then find their way to this forum and this thread in the forum and chose to invest time by registering and leaving a message.

So for every one of us reporting the problem here there are likely many more who have it but do not know they have it, or know it but were put off by a technician's denial and are fruitlessly trying to find their way through their ISPs support system.

It may be an interaction with software that isn't installed on every McAfee user's computer, but if that is so then in my case it is an interaction with software with which the McAfee software was getting along fine on three different computers until early July, about the time the firewall component was updated. (I see it was updated again on July 27th)

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 174 of 199

Jump to solution

I agree it's a troubling issue and obviously difficult to pin down.   It is being worked on.  Not much else the Mods can say really except try disabling Net Guard for now.

mrepuski
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 175 of 199

Jump to solution

Hello jacksprat,

I attended the meeting on Monday that Peacekeeper referenced in an earlier post. I can say that Intel Security is aware of reports about connectivity. We are actively looking into the issue. As part of the investigation we have attempted to reproduce without success.  Since we can't recreate the issue we need assistance from a some affected users to capture data to help determine the issue and find a root cause. If you or anyone else is able to assist support let me know and I will have someone contact you.   

Unfortunately I don't have the specifics about the issue from 2012 though given the amount of time since that issue it is doubtful that the current issue is the same. 

With regard to the suggested troubleshooting steps each has its merits, that said multiple reinstallation of the suite shouldn't be necessary.

jacksprat
Former Member
Message 176 of 199

Jump to solution

It is somewhat hard to believe that the current issue and the one in 2012 are not related as the exact same thing is occurring, to the letter, now as is then.  Thousands of contingencies and configurations were checked, hundreds of ideas and potential solutions proposed, all for naught in 2012, the very same solutions that are beginning to be proposed again here.  Though the Mcafee software has been updated, it is not at all unfeasible to assume that Mcafee is the source of the problem now as it was back then.  As not everyone is having to problem, then it must relate to a conflict between Mcafee and specific computer configurations.  Though I totally agree with Ovgrey.  Just because only a few people have reported it so far, does not mean that it is not a widespread problem.  That is how it started in 2012, with a few people reporting, which became many more, and those reporting only representing the tip of a iceberg. 

I applaud Mrepuski for saying that Mcafee is taking this seriously and working on it.  People who are having this problem should assist as he states along with myself, though, as I have said, I doubt the 2012 problem and the one now are completely unrelated as their similarities are uncanny.

I have to chide ex-brit for threatening to ban me simply because I am expressing a dissenting opinion and calling to light a problem which is occurring, along with expressing my frustration that moderators, himself included specifically, were there posting in the 2012 thread about the problem, and are here now and don’t even mention (until I brought it to light) that the same thing occurred in 2012.  Instead telling people to do the same things that they did in 2012 that did not solve the problem.  See for yourself.  https://community.mcafee.com/thread/28074?start=0&tstart=0

It may be fading, but in the Western world, there is still such a thing as freedom of speech.  I hope you respect mine.

The disabling Netguard solution was proposed back in 2012 too.  My question then is, how much less safe is internet searching with Netguard off?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 177 of 199

Jump to solution

Freedom of speech has norms attached to it and one of those is be courteous to the (unpaid) help.  Sorry but I don't regard what you said as "dissenting", more of an insult.

We try to help here by steering people to Technicians and vice-versa, but being told that we shouldn't be listened to hardly encourages any of us to offer help in your case.

Peacekeeper
Message 178 of 199

Jump to solution

One thing to point out is the 2012 product was completely revamped for the 2014 version thus one does not look back to old versions usually. Each issue is treated as a new issue though the Thunderbird issue did reoccur and has been fixed that is the only one that was proven to reoccur to my knowledge.

I haven't had a netguard block anything in the past 12 mths so disabling it for a month should not be a worry. Ensure you are running webadvisor in your browsers and you should be fine.

Mcafee only started looking for the issue when we "purveyors of useless suggestions"  as you call us reported the issue to Mcafee as they had not known of it as there were either none or a very low volume of reports.

mrepuski
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 179 of 199

Jump to solution

Having reviewed the posts I would agree that the effects of the current issue appear similar to the issue that occurred in 2012. That said the source of the issue is still unknown so one can't say if this is the same issue at this point. Lets not confuse symptoms with root cause. 

With regard to the suggestions offered by the moderator and others please keep the follow in mind. Suggestion are offered to help mitigate an issue and or help determine if more help is required.

With regard to mitigating an issue lets not confuse a solution to a work around. A solution is provided via an application update while a workaround is what we offer while working a issue.

To accomplish the aforementioned goals there are a few task that we like to start with.  Here are a few

• Retry the task
  • Reboot the computer
  • run MVT
  • reinstall the suite.

Given the flexibility of the Windows platform one can't be sure what the current state of the system and applications are. These steps attempt to bring them to a known state. If the issue is resolved the problem was likely an environment issue.

After these basic tasks are tried a more focussed set of suggestions may be offered. In some instances these suggestion could be considered a solution while in others they could be a considered a workaround. 

• change a setting
  • check the health of the PC,
  • attempt a custom install
  • and so on.

Lastly we move to issue recreation and or data capture. This is where we find ourselves with this issue. We need logs to determine what is or isn't occurring and why. Until we have the data we need or can recreate the issue progress on this issue will be slow. 

Finally with regard to participation is the community. We are all here to help each other. The fastest way to accomplish this is through co-operation and respect. While I don't have an issues with differing opinions everyone who joined the community agreed to a code of conduct myself included. I ask that we respect this code of conduct in any future posts.

Thanks.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 180 of 199

Re: Re: Mcafee Firewall is blocking my internet access intermittently...HELP

Jump to solution

Hi All,

I sent a PM to couple of days back for gathering data but haven't seen a reply. Is there any other volunteers willing to share logs for this issue, If so please add me as a contact for sending a PM and schedule a support session.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community