Did you mean: 
selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 151 of 199

Re: Re: Mcafee Firewall is blocking my internet access intermittently...HELP

Jump to solution

Hi

How frequent is the issue occurring? If it is more frequent then I can set up a Support Session with you and collect data required for analyzing this issue.

pacman
Contributor
Message 152 of 199

Jump to solution

The issue seem to become more frequent, at a rough estimate I would say every half hour.

I initially noticed the issue anytime I took the computer out of sleep mode. Now however it just occurs as I say every half hour but it has yet to reoccur since disabling NetGuard. Yeah sure if you want to set up a support session that's good with me.

Peacekeeper
Message 153 of 199

Jump to solution

I will Leave you in Selvan's capable hands. Thanks Selvan for popping in.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 154 of 199

Re: Re: Re: Mcafee Firewall is blocking my internet access intermittently...HELP

Jump to solution

Will send you a Private message and will go from there. Hopefully we will get good data and try to make progress.

pacman
Contributor
Message 155 of 199

Re: Re: Re: Mcafee Firewall is blocking my internet access intermittently...HELP

Jump to solution

No problem. Not sure if it will make a difference to the data you can collect but in the last support session the technician did a complete uninstall before reinstalling again.

ovgray
Contributor II
Message 156 of 199

Re: Mcafee Firewall is blocking my internet access intermittently...HELP

Jump to solution

I am another user experiencing this precise problem. It started for me about a week ago. We have three computers here running McAfee Security Center. Two are running windows 7 and one is running windows 8.1. All three started experiencing the problem without any change in configuration of any machine. The machine I am on at the moment has Security Center 14.0.1076, Anti-Virus 18.0.208 and Personal Firewall 15.0.194 (09/07/2015). The date on the firewall version seems to correspond with the date I started experiencing this.

Symptoms:

Everything will be working fine. Then the browser, or Outlook, or whatever, will stall because it can't get dns information. In that state any attempt to "nslookup google.ca" from the command prompt, for example, freezes both the nslookup program and the command prompt window is is running in. I finally discovered that if I turn off the Mcafee Firewall and then immediately turn it on again I regain access to dns responses and everything is fine again, including the frozen command prompt window which unfreezes and nslookup then completes the lookup it was asked for. The fix only lasts a while. Then it happens again.

I do not know how to put McAfee Firewall in the state in which it starts doing this, but the fix is completely reproducible: every time this happens, turning the Firewall off and then on again solves the problem - for a while. Before I discovered this "fix" it would be several minutes until the system somehow recovered the ability to get dns information.

The Security History log contains entries like this:

Suspicious incoming network connection blocked

Source IP address: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

The PC xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx tried to connect to UDP on Port 50153 on your PC without your permission.

The source IP address is your own DNS server.

The source IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is indeed one of the two ip addresses listed as dns servers when I run "ipconfig /all" at a command prompt. And note the last line.

It is very clear from this that DNS responses are being blocked by the Firewall even though the software knows that the source is the DNS server that the computer uses to get DNS info.

I did report this: Service Request #: 1780923833

I had a chat with some tech who was obviously anxious to get the the end of his canned script where he says McAfee is not causing the problem and I should contact my ISP.

No, I no I did not "escalate." I have no idea how to do that. Nor do I have the time just now to figure out how to tunnel through the layers of denial McAfee has clearly got set up. I'm hoping that someone here can actually get through to someone at McAfee who is receptive to the possibility that there is a problem with the software.

Some of the entries in the Firewall History Log from during a problem period this morning also show blocking of TCP connections from the IP address of a server that I run out on the internet, with which I was communicating by browser at the time. These are also logged as suspicious connections attempted without my permission, even though the server was clearly responding to a request made by my browser. It is as though Firewall just loses track of what is going on, perhaps as a result of filling up a chunk of memory that then gets cleared when the Firewall is turned off briefly.

I also agree with the earlier comments that the number of people who can and figured out that it is the McAfee software is doing this, and what part causes it, and what it takes to demonstrate that that is the problem, and how to find a forum like this after getting blown off by a "support" tech, is likely a very tiny fraction of the number of people experiencing the problem.

john118
Contributor II
Message 157 of 199

Jump to solution

Going on 3 months after the start of this thread I find it incredible that McAfee has nothing in their system that shows techs all of the people who have already both called and reported the problem on this thread. Actually wasting peoples times telling them to call their ISP. Shameful and unbelievable.  It's exactly why I decided to stop wasting my time helping out with this issue.  But I came on here to reply to you to let you know, in case you didn't see it, that if you disable Netguard the issue should go away.  Temporary fix i know. Although it's been "temporary" for months now and I'm sure many more.  

justplainjohn
Contributor
Message 158 of 199

Jump to solution

Ovgray, welcome??? to this group of disgruntled users. If you plow through all of this thread, you'll find a post from mwestlak who discovered that the problem stops occurring if you turn off NetGuard. I've done it, and all has been fine since (except for the other day, when I turned NetGuard (I call it NG) back on and was immediately blocked).

ovgray
Contributor II
Message 159 of 199

Jump to solution

As far as I can see, Net Guard is set either on or off for each of a very long list of entries in the "Internet Connections for Programs" list in the Firewall interface. Do I have to go to every entry, click "Edit" and then scroll down until the "Net Guard" radio buttons are visible and change the setting? And then do it again every time McAfee adds another entry in the list? Or is there some global setting somewhere that just tunes it off for all connections?

Peacekeeper
Message 160 of 199

Jump to solution

Ok will ask the resident forum tech to popin and comment. To escalate you call support and request an escalation call back telling them disabling netguard is a temporary fix and that shows it is not your isp.

Re netguard just disable it in firewall settings under the netguard setting

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community