Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
justplainjohn
Contributor
Message 111 of 199

Re: Mcafee Firewall is blocking my internet access intermittently...HELP

Jump to solution

I believe this is affecting a lot more than just the few people reporting on this forum. I suspect many of the others have been swapping cables and NICs and yelling at their ISPs, and just haven't gotten around to suspecting McAfee. Most users, after all, have never visited this forum (and probably don't know it exists). I agree that turning off Net Guard does little to reduce security and in fact thought I had disabled it a long time ago, just as I removed  Site Advisor.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 112 of 199

Jump to solution

Well, I'm going with what Support told me.  We can only guess at how many I suppose.

john118
Contributor II
Message 113 of 199

Jump to solution

I was about to sign on here and write the reply you wrote literally word for word.   There is no way this is "a few people".

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 114 of 199

Jump to solution

Well then, they need to call support and add their voices.

Peacekeeper
Message 115 of 199

Jump to solution

I second that as support as far as they see from call logs this is not a big issue. To get it noticed faster and addressed there need to be more users call support.

We mods are not seeing the issue so far. Has any1 got a way to cause this on demand so we can check our installs.

patatipatata
Contributor
Message 116 of 199

Jump to solution

Mods/McAfee: Using an automated tool like EasyNetMonitor to automatically test your connection, you could prove that you do or don't have the issue.  May I recommend that all McAfee related persons/Mods do install an internet connectivity monitoring tool like EasyNetMonitor to have an objective way of detecting the problem?  You might be surprised by the results.

As I mentioned before, you just have to make a graph showing the "time difference between log events" (the "ping" response time is irrelevant in this case; the launching of "ping.exe" is what we are looking for).

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 117 of 199

Jump to solution

The only connectivity issues I ever have are my ISP and they are aware of an issue.  I personally don't have time to test such things.  I just get on the phone and get someone else to deal with it.

justplainjohn
Contributor
Message 118 of 199

Jump to solution

I don't know a way to cause this "on demand", but I have noticed that the connection is often blocked when resuming from a standby state that the computer  has been in for 1/2 hr or more. A quick sleep/wake cycle doesn't seem to do it.

And in more than five days with Net Guard off, there hasn't been a single failure.

BTW, one of my two computers was new in mid-April and began showing the problem after just a few days, so not much other software had been installed (except for the crud that comes in HP boxes). The previous one (an Acer) was having the problem also, but it died of an unrelated failure.

I can't say I'm very pleased with the devs' response. A small number of complaints most likely means that most users haven't traced the problem to McAfee, which is not surprising since there is no warning, no pop-up, no nothing saying blocked, just no connection.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 119 of 199

Jump to solution

They are working on it, I never said they weren't.   But they have to prioritize and with some 200 million customers there are probably some more pressing concerns that need urgent fixing, but I am only guessing.

We can only hope more people keep pressuring Technical Support.

Peacekeeper
Message 120 of 199

Jump to solution

Sorry Maybe my wording was bad McAfee is looking into the issue but first they need to give priority to issues that have thousands of users reporting the issue . They will get around to putting resources to this issue more than at present but when the other issues are fixed. WRT easynetmonitor I will install it later on today I have downloaded it already.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community