Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
justplainjohn
Contributor
Message 101 of 199

Re: Mcafee Firewall is blocking my internet access intermittently...HELP

Jump to solution

Nearly three days since turning off NetGuard and no loss of connection.  Three more days and I'll believe the problem is gone. Thanks again mwestlak! How will we know if NetGuard is fixed and it's safe to turn it back on? I see devrat has a newer firewall version but still had the disconnects.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 102 of 199

Jump to solution

Thanks for posting.  We're widely discussing this internally, especially mwestlak's discovery regarding Netguard, and will post when we hear anything from the  people working on it.

john118
Contributor II
Message 103 of 199

Jump to solution

Agreed, as mwestlak! pointed out NetGuard appears to be the problem. It also has been shown from our contributions that the issue resulted from an update around the end of April/ May timeframe. This narrows it down pretty well I don't know what is happening with these logs selvan has been looking at for weeks, but I would think the problem should be apparent pretty soon.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 104 of 199

Jump to solution

Yes, I'm hoping they get an answer soon.  I've made this an item for our Conference Call with McAfee on Monday afternoon.   We Mods will post any positive news we get.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 105 of 199

Jump to solution

I would if I may, would like to applaud and thank everyone for their invaluable input. It definitely goes a long way towards a resolution. Hopefully we will indeed learn more Monday during the Conference call.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
xboxerj
Contributor III
Message 106 of 199

Jump to solution

I can say, as of this moment, with Netguard off I haven't had any issues.  I am cautious to say the issue is completely resolved until we hear more from the conference call and what Selvan sees on the logs.  I am hesitant as I worry that some other McAfee update in the future could cause us issues.

devrat
Former Member
Message 107 of 199

Jump to solution

After disabling Net guard, It seems to have resolved the problem totally.

user_30293
Former Member
Message 108 of 199

Jump to solution

"I can say, as of this moment, with Netguard off I haven't had any issues.  I am cautious to say the issue is completely resolved until we hear more from the conference call and what Selvan sees on the logs.  I am hesitant as I worry that some other McAfee update in the future could cause us issues."

I concur with what xboxerj stated above.

xboxerj
Contributor III
Message 109 of 199

Jump to solution

Thank you.  I am concerned about something gumming up the works later on and the issue reappearing.  The other concern I have is that Netguard does seem to be a useful and worthwhile part of Total Protection.  Without it on, what exactly are we missing out on?  Does it make our computers less secure than others running McAfee with no troubles?  If some of us are ending up with an inferior version due to this error with no resolution in site than that troubles me greatly.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 110 of 199

Jump to solution

News from our Conference Call which I'm on now:   Netguard being off means that security is only slightly reduced.  NG scans for known bad IP's when you surf or when software does the same, something that should be caught by Site/WebAdvisor I would imagine.  Real-time scanner would catch any bad downloads hopefully.

It is being worked on but as this is only effecting a few people there are fixes that are regarded as more urgent, so I'm afraid I can't give a time frame for this one.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community