Re: Mcafee Firewall is blocking my internet access intermittently...HELP

Jump to solution

I'm using Videotron in Montreal.

patatipatata
Contributor
Message 72 of 199

Jump to solution

As I mentioned previously, I started logging the quality on my internet connection using EasyNetMonitor.  As I also mentioned, the result from EasyNetMonitor always gives good results for the ping response time, but when my connection is not working, no test is being performed.  I gathered all data in an Excel spreadsheet and calculated the time difference between log events over the entire past week to detect the occurrences of the problem.

As expected, the large majority of tests were indeed separated by 10 seconds as I programmed, but I identified 34 events over the last week where the time difference (i.e. internet lockdown from McAfee) caused a lockdown duration between 7 minutes and 10 minutes (3 events lasted between 1 and 4 minutes: they are events that I detected because I was at the computer and manually turned the McAfee firewall off/on).  This also gives me the time of day when these lockdowns occur.  They occur just about any time of day or night, whether I am at the computer or not.  Thursday June 4th had 14 events, Sunday June 7th had 11 events.  For other days, I see 2-4 events.

Obviously, as a user, we are only aware of the occurences when we are actually at the keyboard.  One particular website auto reloads, and when the lockdown occurs, I notice that the page has not refreshed.  Most "occasional" internet users will never see all those events; this might explain why there are not too many complaints on this issue.

If useful, I can submit this spreadsheet to McAfee for further analysis.

Peacekeeper
Message 73 of 199

Jump to solution

The tech controlling our mod call today suggested you all report this to support as the more reporting it the better chance of action faster than 1 having support contact. Selvan was asked to follow back here and though he got logs from xboxer's PC they were not while the issue was happening.

We were wondering if you all have family protection/parental controls installed and activated?

Re the spreadsheet will leave that up to Selvan to comment.

patatipatata
Contributor
Message 74 of 199

Jump to solution

2 PCs are showing the symptoms.  Both PCs are Windows 7, and both have the same overall configuration:

My user account has administrative rights and is not protected by Family Control,

other user accounts of the computer do not have administrative rights and are protected by Family Control.

Temporarily, McAfee Tech support had me uninstall & reinstall, and I used all defaults.  Since that time, on that PC, Family protection appears to be installed (by default?) but is not protecting any account.

Symptoms are the same whether we are logged as administrator (not protected by family control) or as a limited account protected by family control.  The only difference is that while logged as administrator, I can quickly disable the McAfee firewall.  Other user accounts cannot do that, so they either have to wait 10 minutes for the problem to go away or they ask me to login in my account to disable the firewall, which always solves the problem.

patatipatata
Contributor
Message 75 of 199

Jump to solution

Problem just happened again.  I confirmed that while the computer is in lockdown from McAfee, my Android device can connect to the internet using my WiFi router and my internet connection.

patatipatata
Contributor
Message 76 of 199

Jump to solution

Weird...  My previous message was *posted* during the lockdown.

Since the lockdown started, two other tabs were displaying "Resolving Host" and were not loading.  Since this forum page was loaded, I pressed the Reply button and typed my response successfully. I did a refresh of this page and I started to receive the "Resolving Host" for this page, which lasted until I unlocked by disabling/enabling the McAfee Firewall.  When internet started working again, I refreshed this page again and it worked.  I can confirm that my previous response was posted during the lockdown.

It looks like some programs/threads already loaded in the memory of the computer continue to have access to the internet, but other threads or new threads cannot start during the lockdown.

In a CMD prompt, I confirmed again that "ping" does not *launch* during the lockdown; it launches immediately as I disable the McAfee firewall.

Using Chrome.

patatipatata
Contributor
Message 77 of 199

Jump to solution

(Sorry, its me again... 😉  )

I also installed EasyNetMonitor on another computer on my home network.  That computer is an older Dell computer, Intel Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 with 4GB of RAM, running Windows 7 and protected by "Microsoft Security Essentials" (i.e. McAfee is not installed on that computer).  That computer permanently runs a VirtualPC and acts as our home server/backup server; it is barely fast enough to perform all these tasks at the same time, lacks memory, etc, but overall, it does what I need it to do.

Over the same monitoring period as my main PC (see post #71) (7 complete consecutive days), and at the same EasyNetMonitor monitoring rate, there were no time period where internet was not available.  Yes, there were occasional events where the log events were spread by up to 30 seconds, but I'm assuming these are mostly caused by its lack of computing power/memory.

user_30293
Former Member
Message 78 of 199

Jump to solution

I do not have family protection/parental controls installed and activated.

john118
Contributor II
Message 79 of 199

Jump to solution

I do not have parental controls/ family protection installed or activated. Regarding the suggestion to call and report it: I will only do that if it's actually that quick and simple. Report the problem and that's it. I don't have the time to waste having support open up a diagnostics session where they try to pin it on everything but McAfee, such as the one person saying they had them uninstall and reinstall the product. I am satisfied from the reports here that it is most definitely a bug in the software and I agree with the person who said I would be willing to bet most people haven't even noticed it yet.

devrat
Former Member
Message 80 of 199

Jump to solution

MTNL - New Delhi , No Family Protection On/Parental Control.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community