Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xboxerj
Contributor III
Message 31 of 199

Re: Mcafee Firewall is blocking my internet access intermittently...HELP

Jump to solution

I can try to ping google.ca, but could someone instruct me how to do so? I will be glad to run that once it happens again and post the results on here.

iatgrnwv
Former Member
Message 32 of 199

Jump to solution

forgive the overstep; indeed, i'm using an SMB product with firewall component.  /doh

it's been quite some time since i've worked with consumer stuff other than pulling security scan off endpoints to replace with a business product.

do the consumer grade products not output logs?  if not, that's a real bummer and must make troubleshooting a right pain! 

carry on, cheers!

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 33 of 199

Jump to solution

Simply left click on start, type in cmd . When the command prompt comes up, right click on it and click on 'Run as Administrator' When the 'User Account Control' comes up,allow it to proceed.

Type in the Command Prompt  Ping (Space) www.google.ca then click enter.

Your results should acknowledge that you (Sent)-(4) packets, and (4) packets were (received) if successful. I will leave you in the very capable hands of Selvan. For he is our resident Technical Engineer/Support 2.5 .

All the very Best

Catdaddy

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 34 of 199

Jump to solution

No problem

All the very Best,

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
patatipatata
Contributor
Message 35 of 199

Jump to solution

I have the same symptoms as the OP on two separate computers.

Everything was working fine until my previous subscription to McAfee expired.  I renewed the subscription about one month ago, and I installed LiveSafe on both computers.

Both computers are i7 running Windows 7 using wired connections to the router, with the latest Windows updates installed.  Router Linksys E3000 has the latest firmware and was rebooted recently.

All works fine, but occasionnally, one computer stops accessing the internet.  Chrome says "Resolving Hosts...", Internet Explorer shows nothing but hangs.

The problem occurs on one computer independently from the other computer.  While one computer cannot access the internet, the other can.  Android devices connected to the same router have no apparent issue.

One computer is usually operated in an administrator account without Family protection.  The other computer is usually operated in a Standard User account with Family protection activated. Both computers show the problem at similar frequency.

On both computers, I noticed that when the internet access freezes, I can usually unfreeze it instantly by disabling the firewall from the McAfee control panel.  Once it resumes working, I can re-enable the firewall and it keeps working for a while, until the next event.  I could not reproduce this on the computer operated in a Standard User Account, simply because the options are grayed out in the McAfee control panel; I did reproduce the behavior on both computers when doing these steps in an administrator account.

During the time where Internet is frozen, I can open a new tab in Chrome and reach my router without problem.

If I don't do anything, the internet access usually resumes about 5 minutes later, and the internet access will usually be lost again within the hour.

This is extremely frustrating, and I will likely uninstall McAffe very shortly if the problem continues.

Peacekeeper
Message 36 of 199

Jump to solution

This is starting to get too many me too posts usually better to make your own post. I will consider this if any more add their thoughts as everyone's issue is not always the same cause

.patatipatata

In your case did you have livesafe previously or another product such as total protection? If so did you fully remove the old product using windows control panel programs and features and the mcpr removal tool?

If not the two programs could be reacting to each other.

How to uninstall or re-install supported McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 37 of 199

Jump to solution

Could you please confirm that you were capable of 'Pinging' Google.ca ?

As Colleague PK stated, these threads have seemingly evolved with other having similar issues. Any correspondence in regards to your post #30,Could very well be of better assistance with your particular issue, as well with others.

Kind Regards,

Catdaddy

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
xboxerj
Contributor III
Message 38 of 199

Jump to solution

I did the ping test just now, everything works fine.  I didn't have any problem with it.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 39 of 199

Re: Re: Mcafee Firewall is blocking my internet access intermittently...HELP

Jump to solution

May we check for the hosts file and see if it is fine. Try to reset hosts file to default which would solve these issues. Check out here

patatipatata
Contributor
Message 40 of 199

Jump to solution

The symptoms are so similar to those of the original poster, and I did not find many other similar posts, so I thought it would be useful for everyone to share my experience with this problem.

I had McAfee protection installed for the last few years, getting a new license and reinstalling it every year (i.e. not extending my license, but getting a different licence).  I did the same renewal process this year, but it's the first time that I install the "LifeSafe" product.

During the LifeSafe installation last month, I simply let McAfee perform the uninstall/install process on its own.  There were no errors, but after that, I started to experience frequent loss of internet access on both computers.

Last night, following your advice, I performed a complete uninstall of the McAfee programs and completed the uninstall process using the MCPR tool.  Some portions failed to uninstall, so I manually deleted the files in Safe Mode.  I rebooted and ran the MCPR tool again, successfully.  I then reinstalled everything.  I did the same on both computers, and behavior was the same on both, I had to delete some files from Safe Mode in order to run the tool successfully.

On one computer, the problem is confirmed to still be present; on the other computer, I did not yet use it enough to experience the problem.

While the internet access was blocked, I tried to ping google.com.  After a while, it returned this message: "Ping request could not find host google.com.  Please check the name and try again."  After a few minutes, the internet access resumed.  I tried the same ping request again and it completed successfully.

When internet access is not blocked, it works well to all websites.  This tells me that the host file itself is not damaged.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community