Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Leeeeeeelo
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Mcafee Firewall and Windows 7 Firewall

Jump to solution

Hello everyone !

I recently installed Mcafee Virus Scan Plus on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bits ( RC ) , and I just noticed in the Control Panel that Windows Firewall and Mcafee Personal Firewall are both turned on . It seems weird because on my other PCs ( Windows XP and Vista ) , when I installed my Mcafee product, Windows Firewall was automatically disabled ( turn off ) . Well this doesn't seem to be the case in Windows 7 . Is this normal or is it a bug ? I donno if this usually happens on Windows 7 or it just happened with me due to some error , did it happen with anyone running Windows 7 ? Should I manually turn off Windows Firewall ?

I have an additional question , is there a way I can test the performance of Mcafee Personal Firewall ? I am worried about the security Mcafee offers on Windows 7 ( I do not doubt the great security it offers on Windows XP and Windows Vista , I am actually a very happy Mcafee Customer for more than 2 years ) .

Thank you in advance ,

Sincerely ,

Leeeeeeelo .

Message was edited by: Leeeeeeelo on 11/29/09 9:31 AM

Message was edited by: Leeeeeeelo on 11/29/09 9:32 AM
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 10

Re: Mcafee Firewall and Windows 7 Firewall

Jump to solution

OK I've just been on the conference call with the technicians and apparently McAfee works differently with Windows 7  than with any previous system.   Apparently McAfee's firewall integrates with Windows Firewall and  they work together so WF showing as "On" is normal behaviour....in Windows 7 ONLY.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/30/09 2:33 PM

View solution in original post

9 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 10

Jump to solution

Windows 7 treats 3rd party firewalls differently from other systems in that it allows them to control it.  It should actually be off although I see in my machine that under Advanced Settings it shows that it is on.

I will flag this issue and see if anyone knows the answer.

Leeeeeeelo
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Jump to solution

Hello Ex_Brit ,

Thank you for your prompt reply ! Are you having the same issue on Windows 7 ? However about how Windows 7 treats 3rd party firewalls , I would like to point out that when I bought my PC , it came with BitDefender 2010 installed on Windows 7 and its firewall ( Windows Firewall ) disabled ( turned off ) , however I donno if the technician who built my PC, turned it off or BitDefender turned it off . When I uninstalled it ( BitDefender ) so I can install Mcafee , Windows prompted me to turn on its firewall ( and so I did ) . However I did not receive any warning concerning Windows Firewall afterwards ( after the installation of my Mcafee product ) . It was by searching in the Control Panel that I discovered that Windows Firewall is actually turned on , along with Mcafee Personal Firewall . Should I manually turn off Windows Firewall ?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 10

Jump to solution

Well after reading your post I checked both my regular McAfee Firewall and my beta McAfee Firewall which are installed in 2 separate Windows 7's and both had failed to turn off Windows Firewall.  I have since filed a bug report for the beta one and have flagged this thread in our Moderation section, plus I have turned off Windows Firewall in both my Windows 7 installations.  Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/29/09 6:41 PM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 10

Jump to solution

OK I've just been on the conference call with the technicians and apparently McAfee works differently with Windows 7  than with any previous system.   Apparently McAfee's firewall integrates with Windows Firewall and  they work together so WF showing as "On" is normal behaviour....in Windows 7 ONLY.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/30/09 2:33 PM
newjack
Former Member
Message 6 of 10

Jump to solution

Hey ex-brit,IF i understand correctly i should be able to use both firewalls for extra protection?If that is correct,i can`t eable my windows firewall.when i open my firewall(win 7) it shows all the obtions, but if i click on it to enable it does nothing.Allmost like it does when something is grayed out.I am a little paranoid as i have been haveing windows media out bound events when i have them blocked outgoing.Plus a few other odd things.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 10

Jump to solution

No, that isn't true.  Two software firewalls deliberately set to "On" could actually defeat each other.  I already said that in Windows 7 the two work together differently than they do in Vista or XP.   Just leave the settings as they are.

newjack
Former Member
Message 8 of 10

Jump to solution

Thanks,I misunderstood.

ashmk4
Former Member
Message 9 of 10

Jump to solution

I also cannot enable/dissable the windows firewall as it says "these setting are being managed by a vendor application Mcafee personal Firewall"  I need to temporary turn off the firewall to install software. Do u know of any way to do so?

Thanks ashley

Peacekeeper
Message 10 of 10

Jump to solution

Open Security centre below from Help in security centre

To Turn firewall protection off

In some rare situations, you might want to turn off Personal Firewall temporarily. For example, you might need to turn Personal Firewall off while you  troubleshoot an issue.

Task

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 4/05/10 7:01:28 PM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community