cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jaylee
Contributor
Message 1 of 3

Mcafee Firewall Port's

I was online today reading about some port's like 80 and 443.  I looked in firewall on my computer and most of them arent checked. I think only 3 are checked.  My question is, is 3 the default that comes with it and does anybody else have other ports open or are other port's needed to be open to access internet.

If a certain port isnt open will that slow down internet access on chrome or something?

2 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 3

Re: Mcafee Firewall Port's

Discussion successfully moved from General Discussion to Personal Firewall

I would leave your Port settings at the Default level.

The firewall knows which ports are needed by the system and sets them accordingly.

You should be okay, as your McAfee Personal Firewall checks both ingoing/outgoing processes/programs.

In addition you have Net Guard as well.

Also here is Tutorial  McAfee Help

You can scroll down to Personal Firewall.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
spoon_25
Contributor II
Message 3 of 3

Re: Mcafee Firewall Port's

The 3 checked is a bug which is there since 12-24 months, at if you uncheck them at the next update of the firewall they come back, again and again and again.

Seems that McAfee knows better than you what you want to open or close on your PC.

(I explained it to the support 3 times with references to the windows registry etc. but not one understood what the issue is)

Ports open or close aren't going to slow down anything (or make it faster). It's about allowing other systems in your network (or whole internet if directly connected) to access your PC. Port 80 and 443 for example need to be open if you run locally on your PC a webserver (port 80 = HTTP, port 443 = HTTPS) and want others to see the content hosted on your local webserver.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community