cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scratchy
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

McAfee is blocking my access to my hosted website as potentially dangerous.

Jump to solution

I have had a website and email account hosted by JustHost for more than one year but this weekend I have not been able to access it at all. Other users can still see the site and JustHost support have said that the problem is at my end and with the firewall. I have McAfee Total Protection v11.0 installed and use Windows7 64-bit.

I have been told I need to allow access to certain ports (80,2082,2083). I have attempted to do this within the McAfee but, frankly, I don't know what I'm doing and everything I have tried has failed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jaymfe
Former Member
Message 9 of 12

Re: McAfee is blocking my access to my hosted website as potentially dangerous.

Jump to solution

It seems McAfee Net Guard is blocking your website. Your website using IP 184.154.12.154 which belongs to shared hosting and there is 323 domains on same IP. Some of them are scam and contains explicit contents. So McAfee lab gave bad webreputation for that IP and it has blocked McAfee McAfee Net Guard. Please contact your Host service provider and change the IP of all your websites to fix this issue.

site1.jpg

site2.jpg

Please go through the below threadto find how we fixed it by changing the IP address.

https://community.mcafee.com/message/202587#202587

View solution in original post

11 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 12

Jump to solution

It's probably SiteAdvisor that's doing it but to be sure we would need to know the website URL.

scratchy
Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Jump to solution

Hi Ex_Brit

Main account is solution270.com but other URLs are also hosted and have the same problem (solution270.co.uk, novice2scratch.com, novice2scratch.co.uk). Email connections are also being denied.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 12

Jump to solution

That's strange, I had no problems going there.  The novice ones are awaiting a SiteAdvisor rating, but that's not an issue.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 04/09/11 12:23:16 EDT PM
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Jump to solution

If it's a question of allowing access through certain ports just open Security Centre and select Firewall-->Settings-->Ports and System Services.  Check the Port 80 line, that will be needed if you're hosting a Web Server. You can add ports to the allowed list on an individual basis. I can't be too specific because I'm not running Total Protection and the details may be different.

If you're dealing with ports 2082 and 2083 the descriptions of those ports is as follows

List of TCP and UDP port numbers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.png

Are you using one of the services shown there? That's part of the information you would need to supply in the 'Add a Port' section.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 04/09/11 19:04:18 IST
scratchy
Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Jump to solution

That's one thing that is odd. Yesterday some users also reported problems accessing while others had no problem, although some later reported everything ok. I seem to be the only person with this problem consistently across the period, although it hadn't occured in the year previously.

scratchy
Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Jump to solution

I have tried to add ports in the Ports and System Services section of Total Protection but I can't make sense of the McAfee application help on how to do this and I don't have any descriptions to add, only the port numbers. Also there is a tick box which is ticked for some box; e.g. port 5357, but not for most others including port 80. There is no description to whether it should be ticked or not.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Jump to solution

scratchy wrote:

I have tried to add ports in the Ports and System Services section of Total Protection but I can't make sense of the McAfee application help on how to do this and I don't have any descriptions to add, only the port numbers. Also there is a tick box which is ticked for some box; e.g. port 5357, but not for most others including port 80. There is no description to whether it should be ticked or not.

Click Add. Enter the port number. Enter a description that makes sense to you. Click OK. Done. Added.

When I said "check the Port 80 line" I meant, click on the line. You want to see "x" in the Port 80 box. Then it's allowed. You need that for an HHTP Web Server.

jaymfe
Former Member
Message 9 of 12

Jump to solution

It seems McAfee Net Guard is blocking your website. Your website using IP 184.154.12.154 which belongs to shared hosting and there is 323 domains on same IP. Some of them are scam and contains explicit contents. So McAfee lab gave bad webreputation for that IP and it has blocked McAfee McAfee Net Guard. Please contact your Host service provider and change the IP of all your websites to fix this issue.

site1.jpg

site2.jpg

Please go through the below threadto find how we fixed it by changing the IP address.

https://community.mcafee.com/message/202587#202587

scratchy
Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Jump to solution

Thanks Jayadeep NR, that all makes sense. Is there any way I can override Net Guard locally so that I can access my site before the hosting company change the IP address?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community