cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
piet43
Contributor
Message 1 of 3

McAfee firewall stops media sharing,Windows doesn't.

McAfee firewall stops media streaming from my desktop PC to my TV-set after 10-20 minutes. ( this can be re-created )

The media server used is from Windows Media Player, and the combination with Windows firewall ON

( and McAfee firewall OFF ) works fine and may run for hours.

All required TCP/UDP ports , taken from a working environment with NETSTAT, were added to the McAfee

firewall settings, without result.

Going back to firewall defaults : no result.

The required IP's were put on the trusted list : no result.

Please let me have your suggestions to get McAfee's firewall working, or I will have to stick to Windows.

2 Replies
dth1971
Former Member
Message 2 of 3

Re: McAfee firewall stops media sharing,Windows doesn't.

Is it possible you are having McAfee lock down the firewall after xx minutes of inactivity?  (ie: Lockdown firewall when screensaver goes active)  I remember this being an option on the older firewall programs.  (ie ZoneAlarm)

piet43
Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: McAfee firewall stops media sharing,Windows doesn't.

Thanks for your suggestion.I had allready put the screensaver time to 1 hour but this does not help me.

There is also a timer mechanism in McAfee where you could switch the firewall off for 15 minutes , 30 min a.s.o.

This timer (although not used ) might cause my problem, but you will never find out if your only support is coming from the

McAfee free support desk.

They only fuckup your system with 'default settings'' .

After reading your story I feel we are in the same corner : McAfee is no longer interested in customers buing their products,

they want to sell you paid support !!!

At the moment my media sharing works fine with McAfee's firewall OFF, and Windows firewall ON.

I feel no need for McAfee's ToTal Protection in the future, as only part of it works.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community