cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmw894
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

McAfee Firewall blocking wireless network connection

I have a friend who is having an issue with their pc connecting to their wireless network.  The network appears to be working fine as a laptop connects to the internet fine and I can ping the router from the problem pc.  McAfee also seems to update itself OK.  However when you try and go to the internet, i.e. google, it comes back with a message saying that the server cannot be found.  I tried using Chrome and the connection also failed.  I have also tried spotify and it mentioned about the possibility of the firewall blocking it.  I subsequently turned off the McAfee firewall and connected fine.  Turning it on again and the connection was still OK.  The friend tried to go onto the pc last night and could not connect again even thought the laptop was OK.

Any advise on how I can get the firewall to allow the wireless network would be appreciated.

Thanks

5 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 6

Re: McAfee Firewall blocking wireless network connection

Hi jmw894,

May I know what is the version of security center installed in the computer > (Open security center and let know what is the message displayed Am I protected YES or Your computer is secure ?

Do you have any other security programs installed in the computer

Try connecting the computer  using a different router and check if the problem persists (We will be able to determine the time-out of the router)

Check the above and revert back so that we shall proceed further

Moving thread to Personal firewall 11   2010

Regards,

Dinesh K

McAfee Community Moderator

jmw894
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

It is the latest version as it has the new McAfee red shield with the white M in it.  She has a laptop running the previous version and that connects to the internet OK.  Problem only appears to have occurred a few days ago when McAfee got updated to the latest version.

Thanks

jmw894
Former Member
Message 4 of 6

The pc is showing as protected.  The only extra security software that is installed, that I am aware of, is Stopzilla and Malwarebytes.  These haven't caused a problem in the past.

Thanks

James

jmw894
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

Hi,

I have tried a bit of testing and turning the firewall off and on again allows internet access until the pc is rebooted.  It is running the latest version of the Firewall.  I have modified the range so that it takes out 255 and replaced it with 254.  Another laptop that is still on the older version is connecting fine.  The router is a netgear wireless router and the pc is connecting via a usb dongle.  This issue only occured when the firewall was upgraded.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks

James

jmw894
Former Member
Message 6 of 6

I have managed to resolve the issue.  For some reason the McAfee Firewall had decided to block all access to the internet for the Netgear wireless application.  Gave this program full access and then immediately connected to Google successfully.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community