cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mexxodus
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

McAfee Firewall ON or OFF issue

Since the latest Windows 8.1 Securiy update - installed local Belgian time this Sunday afternoon today - my internet access has been blocked on all levels by MacAfee Firewall. I've tried to switch it off, but for some reason when I open the dashboard of MacAfee Internet Security 2013 and select Firewall - which is ON - it immediately displays a dialog box stating the Firewall is OFF. When clicking on switching on ON and then Ready nothing seems to happen. The Firewall stays ON.

In the detailed Firewall settings I can switch the anti-spam/virus on and off without any problem. But switching OFF the firewall doesn't work. It always starts by displaying the box the Firewall is OFF, while it's ON. And switching it OFF doesn't work. Return to the standard properties doesn't work either. And Windows Firewall options itself can't be accessed, as they refer to McAfee Internet Security. Anyway, since the security update for Windos 8.1 the firewall settings - which I can't access or switch OFF - block any internet traffic.

Anyone got a solution to this problem? Cause returning to a previous install point in windows 8.1 doesn't change this situation either.

Mexxodus.

4 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 5

Re: McAfee Firewall ON or OFF issue

Is 8.1 totally up to date, including IE11 (even if you never use it, McAfee does)?

Check your Windows Network Center in Control Panel to see if maybe the wrong network is set as default.

Try running the Virtual Technician to see if it repairs anything:  http://mvt.mcafee.com/

mexxodus
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Unfortunately I cannot change any of the settings of the available Network either - tried that before. It shows it in red, but it cannot be changed, access it blocked. The problemsolving of network connections in windows itself shows the network via ethernet is configured correctly, but the firewall is blocking the access. And those setting I can access via McAfee, but no longer change. 

For the virtual assistent, the problem is, I no longer can access the internet on the computer with MacAfee installed, So anything that involves internet access to resolve this issue can not be used. That's why I wanted to switch off the firewall - which is impossible.

The updates for Internet Explorer 11 and all other security updates for Windows 8.1 are listed as successfully executed.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 5

Then try this.  Completely uninstall McAfee via Control Panel > Programs and Features.   That should hopefully retore your Internet connection.

Run the MCPR cleanup tool and reboot.

Go to your online account page and reinstall.

Hopefully the problem will not recur.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 5 of 5

Re: Re: McAfee Firewall ON or OFF issue

Hi

Did you try turning off Windows Firewall and/or Windows Defender. This looks simple but will be the root cause most times. If this doesn't work post back so that I can provide you with further troubleshooting steps.

You may also try Resetting Internet Options and see if you are able to succeed.!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community