Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WyattErp
Former Member
Message 1 of 9

List of programs that should be granted in/outbound connections

Greetings

Is there an list as to which programs should be granted permissions for internet access? For example alg, lsa etc?

Thank You

WyattErp

8 Replies
kmrahul1
Former Member
Message 2 of 9

Re: List of programs that should be granted in/outbound connections

WyattErp
Former Member
Message 3 of 9

No that is not what I am asking. Links are for adding an application.

To expand further program X is granted Full Access. On clicking the Learn more link the information page states Grant Full Access. Application Y also has Full Access yet clicking Learn More yields no information as to Grant Full, Inbound Only or OutBound Only or Deny.

There are sites that suggest as what application to grant,block but I do not want to misconfigure McAfee.Can you provide a list of applications?

Thank You

WyattErp

WyattErp
Former Member
Message 4 of 9

Any ideas at all?

Bump

newjack
Former Member
Message 5 of 9

I don`t believe they have anything like that for Mcafee.I have asked this same Question a while back.Although i think it is helpfull like you do.

If you want to moniter all of the programs you can set to show smart recommondations,rather than apply smart recomondations.this way you will get a pop up everytime something wants access.You can also apply outbound on programs like malwareantibytes & still recieve updates.Or at least i can.

If you want to start fresh ,you can open security center & click internet & network.Then click configure about 3/4 the way down on right.then click advanced for firewall protection enabled.The last item on the left is restore firewall defaults.On this same menu in the middle there is a scroll down button to cahange to shoe smart recomendations.Remember if you restore to the way it 1st comes on your computer you will get some pop ups.But you will have a better understanding of when and why a program is asking.Plus you can always change it after.

hope that helps some Jack

WyattErp
Former Member
Message 6 of 9

Hmm. Seems a tad dodgy I do not see any response from the McAfee gurus.I wonder why. Big thanks to you, Jack I will give your method a try.

Thank You

WyattErp.

Peacekeeper
Message 7 of 9

I think Mcafee has a built in database of files/apps. This is used re the smart recommendations mentioned.

So you want a list of apps that it is usual to ally full access correct?

Also re your learn more comment I am confused the learn more link is not attached to any app but at top of the listing. At least it is in 2010 version.

I am am being dumber than normal here please enlarge on the issue.

I will ask the techs tomorrow as well in our call.

WyattErp
Former Member
Message 8 of 9

Greetings,

I will narrow this down a tad. Is it ok to use a list from another source, perhaps from another firewall site. The reason I am asking this is I find McAfee can be somewhat touchy. It works very well with some programs yet others cause issues, lag system instability etc.The more common applications are obvious. I am going to give ole Jacks way a go at this. A list is desired.

To clarify the Learn More link.I also have build 10.15.106.

Go from Basic to Advanced.

Click on Internet&Network tab in the Right Pane. This opens another pane to the right.

Click Configure and then click the Advanced tab.This opens another window for FireWall configurations.

In the Left Pane select  Program Permissions. This will open a new Right Pane.

Program Permissions are at the top Program Details are bottom left and Actions are bottom right.

Click on any program in the Permissions Pane. This will bring up information in the Program Permissions pane and Details  Pane as well as settings in the Actions Pane.

The Actions Pane has Allow  or Block .Access. Allow OutBound Access Only, Remove Program Permissions and Learn More.

Clicking on the Learn More link will open a new page from the Hacker Watch. This page contains information about the program that was highlighted at the beginning. Depending on the program that was highlighted this page may contain information as to what action to take, for example Allow Full Access. Also depending on what program was highlighted, the Learn More has no Recommended action. Thus prompting my question at the start.

I hope this aids in understanding the nature of my question.

Salute'

WyattErp

Peacekeeper
Message 9 of 9

Ok 2010 does it differently ie no separate learn more options.

I asked them and they were not interested in providing a list as they felt the list could be used as a security risk. If You have another list by all means use it BUT at your own risk. I am happy using the smart recommendations seems to work Ok for me.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community