cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ndrudge2
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Incoming network connection blocked from own DNS server

I have thousands of logs from McAfee Security History reporting suspicious activity being blocked from my own DNS server. The IPs being detected are :feed::1 and :feed::2 (from what I understand these are the IPv6 DNS server variants) and the connections are always from seemingly random UDP ports. Can I get any help understanding what this means and how I can resolve or troubleshoot it? I am worried for my network safety.

Using McAfee LiveSafe Version 16.0

McAfee

12 Replies
sivasubramanian
Message 2 of 13

Re: Incoming network connection blocked from own DNS server

@ndrudge2 

Our article Your McAfee software blocked risky connections will help you to know why risky connections are getting blocked.

Please follow our article How to configure Personal Firewall to allow inbound connections on specific ports to configure the blocked connections.

Regards
Siva

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.
ndrudge2
Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Appreciate the reply, but I've reviewed the information provided in both links and neither of them help me understand my situation any better. I'm specifically looking for an explanation as to why my own DNS server IP is being blocked. I don't understand all these networking terms and I am concerned I have vulnerabilities within my own network the way these log files read. Furthermore, I do not want to change firewall settings to allow more network traffic when I don't understand why it is being blocked in the first place. Any clarification would be appreciated. Thank you for the timely response.

sivasubramanian
Message 4 of 13

@ndrudge2 

It look strange. However please try reinstalling McAfee and check if issue still persists.

Regards
Siva

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.
wouter-b
Contributor
Message 5 of 13

I'm having the same issue udp trffic from my dns providers is being blocked by mcafee.
I don't understand how a reinstall would even be remotly helpfull in this case, anyways I did a reinstall and the problem still occurs. I can't allow a port for this because the port being used is dynamic. I don't see any option to allow the traffic being blocked.
PK1966UK
Contributor
Message 6 of 13

I also have the same symptoms where my DNS servers (8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4) are attempting connections to ephemeral ports using IPv4.

Given I am behind a router which would require ports to be forwarded for new connections, is this the McAfee firewall blocking something that should be allowed (i.e. some established connections)?

I haven't seen any ill effects of these ports being blocked, but it is concerning me how these connection attempts are making it to the PC if it's not an error in the firewall reporting.

sivasubramanian
Message 7 of 13

@ndrudge2 

Please do remove the temporary internet files, cache and cookies periodically which will help in this regard. You can also set up a schedule in McAfee Quick clean to perform the same once/twice a week.

Regards
Siva

Cristo
Contributor
Message 8 of 13

I've just discovered this issue on my laptop. 74 thousand risky connections so far. While I didn't look at 74,000, the first the pages say "The source IP is your own DNS server" (what's that). If McAfee is working so hard on my own connection surely its slowing down my laptop. What is wrong with my DNS? Like others before me asked, a simple explanation/solution would be great.

I just completed a "quick clean" when offered by McAfee.

Best Regards during this Covid-19 crisis and Keep Safe

Cristo

Peacekeeper
Message 9 of 13

Just letting you known I see those messages in my security history as well. Previously there was a 22 page thread re this but it was never resolved. That issue was more that users had connection issues as well as the messages. I have not noticed any issues bar a lot of these messages.

See if a mod comments. I feel it is not anything to be worried about

Cristo
Contributor
Message 10 of 13

Thank you Peacekeeper, I appreciate you responding.  I presume once McAfee is "looking after it", it cannot be too serious. However, it seems odd that the connection being used to connect to the internet is seen as an issue and it seems McAfee cannot give give a simple explanation.

Keep safe,

Cristo

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community