cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
b3d
Former Member
Message 1 of 9

I just installed security center from cox

I just installed security center from cox and now I can't connect with wsftp or dreamweaver. I gave both programs full access and even tried turning off firewall but still can't connect..... which means I can't work... I need an answer or I have to uninstall immediatley.

Thank you

ps.. I also checked off ftp ports 20-21 and web server port 80 under system services.
windows xp pro sp 1

update: after playing around a bit I can now connect if I turn firewall off.

Well I slept on it and no help here...... I will have to uninstall ...... the problem now is that I had uninstall my Nortons so now I have to go find my original Norton disk to reinstall that sad
8 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 9

RE: I just installed security center from cox

Sorry your post wasn't answered immediately but we are all volunteers here and are pretty thinly spread. There is always Technical Support Chat linked at top left of this page or in my signature available 24/7.

Have you given those programs full permission in the firewall?

Double-click the taskbar icon to open Security Center
Click Advanced Menu (bottom left)
Click Configure (left)
Click Internet & Network (top left)
Click Advanced (right)
Click Program Permissions (left)

Look for those items and make sure they have full access, if they don't then click "Allow Access" at the bottom right)
If they aren't listed then add them.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 9

By the way XP Pro SP1 is not supported by either Microsoft or here as it is totally unsafe, please update a.s.a.p. to SP3. Help with that here: http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=220807

Neither of those applications has been discussed here since 2007.
b3d
Former Member
Message 4 of 9

Hi Ex_Brit,

Sorry , I didn't mean to sound inpatient... just frustrated... my webserver was just attacked.... starting to hate the internet and want to move to the woods.. just kidding...

I think I solved my problem by using passive ftp... hope that doesn't cause any security problem.

I know what your saying about sp1.... long story... I work on a few diff. pc's and this one is pretty old. I updated once to sp2 and I received the blue screen of death... took a while to restore to older restore pt because I couldn't boot to safe mode either. Maybe it's time to do a complete backup and give it a try again.

THanks for your help
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 9

LOL, I hear you. The times I've wanted to throw everything out the window and go back to the pre-PC era.

Re: SP3 - read through the thread I posted, it has some pretty good and helpful hints.

SP3 does contain all updates until around April of last year, so there will still be some to go afterwards. As it is now though, you aren't even eligible for Microsoft Security Updates let alone the non-critical ones.

I'm not au fait with passive FTP so really not sure as to the safety or not thereof, sorry. I do know that normally McAfee doesn't present too many problems with FTP.
host2sites
Former Member
Message 6 of 9

Dreamweaver/FTP connection problems

I am using Windows XP. Last year I had to hire someone to find out why I couldn't communicate with the server for two web sites I "manage" (despite being dependent upon Dreamweaver and knowing only enough to get by). He found a problem with some buried aspect of McAfee's firewall. I recently renewed my McAfee. After downloading the files, I now can't communicate with the server again. I've lost the name of the tech who figured out the problem. Before I start searching, I thought I'd try the forum. Anyone with similar problems?
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 9

RE: Dreamweaver/FTP connection problems

The person above stated

I think I solved my problem by using passive ftp

Any good to you?

If not I suggest going straight to Technical Support Chat as this issue was never solved in these forums.

Link at top left of page or in my signature.
host2sites
Former Member
Message 8 of 9

Dreamweaver/FTP connection problems

I tried the passive ftp option. I actually spent dozens of hours letting the host technician take over my computer remotely; he couldn't find a way around the problem. But, thanks for your response. When I track down the person I hired last year, and he corrects the problem, I'll post the solution.
Thanks.
bro
Former Member
Message 9 of 9

Dreamweaver MX 2004 and firewall

I found two ways to solve this. After giving Dreamweaver Full Access in the firewall program permissions it still didn't connect. Just changing the FTP setting to passive in Dreamweaver site manager worked for one server. For another, I had to add the IP to the trusted list.

If you try to connect and then look at the inbound event log, it should show what port was blocked and what the IP was. Try connecting again and refresh the log to make sure it really is your server that was blocked, then add that IP to the Trusted list. After that, you shouldn't have any problem connecting. (If you still cannot connect, turn off the firewall to see if it connects correctly, to make sure it is the firewall that is causing the problem.)

I don't like to leave the server IP fully trusted all the time, as it's a public web server and has been hacked on occasion, so I wish Mcafee would allow a 'once only' permission setting for IPs the same way they do for programs. It's a bit of a nuisance, but much safer than permanently trusting an IP. It is fairly easy to go into the Networks list to change the level for that IP between Trusted and Standard when required, however. Better if the firewall would just trust Dreamweaver when I asked it to...
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community