cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stephe
Contributor II
Message 11 of 19

Re: I have to go to Services and start McAfee Firewall Core Service manually every time I reboot my PC

Jump to solution

Thank you for your help, everybody.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 12 of 19

Re: I have to go to Services and start McAfee Firewall Core Service manually every time I reboot my PC

Jump to solution

Then you are worrying needlessly I would think.

mcse2000gr
Former Member
Message 13 of 19

Jump to solution

Hi, I work as an IT service engineer and I have exactly the same problem as the OP on my own PC. It noticed it late October after I did a routine scan with McAfee Virtual Technician (MVT) and it reported the Firewall core service had stopped and it couldn't fix it. I could however start the service myself and because of Windows 10 fast boot, it remains running ok unless the computer is restarted after which I find it has stopped. Here's a few points that might be of interest.

• I run MVT monthly, and so I know everything was ok at the end of September.
  • In October the major Windows 10 developer's update was installed on my PC along with the McAfee software update that changed the logo. Could one of these be the issue?
  • The McAfee software says everything is ok even when the service is not running as does Windows own security.
  • I've read report from 2016 that says MFCS is now set to Manual by default.
  • I've uninstalled the program and used McAfee clean up tools before reinstalling and also reinstalled MVT.
  • I've checked for viruses and malware using other products and the PC is clean.
  • I've interrogated the computer's ports and security with the service running and stopped and it is said to be very secure on both occasions.
  • I have exactly the same symptoms on my Windows 7 laptop where the MFCS is set to manual and stops if the computer is restarted but MVT doesn't report any problems.

I've come to the conclusion that the problem lies with McAfee Virtual Technician on the latest version of Windows 10, but it'd be good to get some clarification from McAfee.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 14 of 19

Jump to solution

We discussed this on our last Conference Call. And yes we feel this to be the case as well. It has been reported to the proper team.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 15 of 19

Jump to solution

Hi All

I will update this thread once there is more information on this change

mrshvd3
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 16 of 19

Jump to solution

Hello -- Is there any more information yet on this firewall on-or-off issue?  I posted something a day or two ago about it, too, so it's obviously ongoing.

mcse2000gr
Former Member
Message 17 of 19

Jump to solution

Hi. On my previous post (12) I came to the conclusion that the Core Firewall Service not auto-starting was as it should be, and that I thought the problem was with McAfee Virtual Technician giving an incorrect result, a view catcaddy concurred with. Since then McAfee Virtual Technician on my computer has updated itself and is now saying everything is ok even with the CFS stopped, and so I'd assume it's mystery solved. As I said, I have used software to probe the computer's ports with CFS stopped and my security was said to be very high (stealth mode even).

It still would be good if somebody from McAfee could acknowledge and confirm this is the case though.

Peacekeeper
Message 18 of 19

Jump to solution

There is a FAQ coming I think.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 19 of 19

Jump to solution

Yes the FAQ is available now. TS102753

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community