cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ryannallann
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

How can i connect my ps3 to the internet using an ethernet cable

i just have downloaded mcafee total protection for the first time and now my ps3 that was connected through an ethernet cable

will not connect unless my firewall is turned off.

can anyone help me

kind regards

ryann

9 Replies
ConorD62
Former Member
Message 2 of 10

Re: How can i connect my ps3 to the internet using an ethernet cable

Hi Ryannallann,

Can you go to Navigation > My Home Network.

And see if you can find your PS3 there.

(I have a 360 and it's hooked up to my internet too, whenever I turn it on, it shows on my McAfee. )

Good Luck.

ryannallann
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Thanks for the reply

I have tried Navigation > My Home Newtork  and added my Ps3 , my Playstation is showing up as online on my Mcafee , but when i try to connect to the Internet on my Playstation

it sais the following :

Obtaining IP Address : Successful

Internet Connection   : Failed

Playstation Network   : Failed

Yesterday when i did not have Antivirus it was connecting fine ,

Any other way to get by my problem ?

Ryannallann

ConorD62
Former Member
Message 4 of 10

Hi,

When using PS3, does it install any programs on your computer?

How about going into your Firewall; Navigation > Firewall.

And seeing program permissions, or adding your PS3's IP to Connections.

Good luck

ryannallann
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

No it doesent install anything , i just use an ethernet cable with internet connection shareing on , i then change my settings on the ps3 to wired connection and it has worked always , but when i downloaded mcafee it wont connect , i tried programme permitions in firewall and cant find ps3 there , it there a way to share internet connection with an other device through mcafee firewall ?

Kind Regards

Ryann Allann

Message was edited by: ryannallann on 23/01/11 10:30:15 CST
Dinz
Former Member
Message 6 of 10

Hey ryan,

If an application does not have a rule allowing it to access the Internet, your Personal Firewall will block the application to protect your computer. You can manually add applications to the Program Permissions list using the steps below.

1. Double-click the M icon in your taskbar.
  2. Select the Web and Email Protection drawer.
  3. Click the Firewall Link.
  4. Select the Program Permissions drawer.
  5. Scroll to the bottom and click the Add button
  6. Click Browse and locate the file you want to add.
  7. Click the application to highlight it and select Open.
  8. Set the access type you want using the provided options in the Access drop down menu.
  9. Click Save.
  10. Close SecurityCenter.

Please add the ps3 exe file to program permission list with Full access and let us know if you still have connectivity issues.

ryannallann
Contributor
Message 7 of 10

I am not able to locate my ethernet port (don't know how to find it ) .

Dinz
Former Member
Message 8 of 10

Ryan,,

Most probably the exe would be present on your C: ; if you have not relocated it somewhere else. Under C:\programs files search for a file PS3.EXE

mojave
Contributor
Message 9 of 10

I have been expierencing the same problems as the orginal poster. Ever since I have installed Mcafee my ps3 connection is unable to even obtain the IP adress. I have tried the steps listed through the threadto fix the problem but hav ebeen unsuccessful. There is no Ps3.exe in my program files or on my c drive. When I connectmy ethernet it doesn't even come up on the Home network until I try to easy configure my PS3. When the ethernet is reconized it is treated as an unmarked IP. Under my network sharing center for windows 7 the ethernet connection is listed as  public with no internet acess. There has to either be a problem with the fire wall or the home network( tried turning off firewall yet still no connection). Could really use some help to either disable Home network ( a feature i didn't realy want anyway) or to get my ethernet connecting again.

Peacekeeper
Message 10 of 10

You can uninstall and reinstall the program via custom install but omit the firewall. You will however need to use the windows firewall or another software firewall as Mcafee will not be happy with only a hardware firewall.

If you want to keep Mcafee and it does work with a PS3 as my son uses 1 I would assume you might need to fix an IP address for the PS3. You would do this on the PS3 but only guessing here. I can chase him up if my suggestions above fail.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community