cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
theflyingmonkey
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

General Firewall Questions

I am running McAfee Internet Security on XP Home Service Pack 3.  I was wondering has the problem with getting risky connections by going to gamefaqs been fixed?  I haven't visited the site in a very long time and I was wondering if I can start to visit it now.

Another thing is that I was checking my Yahoo email, when I had a weird never before seen activity logged in the Incoming Events in the History and Logs of the Navigation tab.  The event was by a PC or host name of l1.loginnet.vip.sp1.yahoo.com, with the ip address 98.136.62.66, and it attempted an unsolicited connection to my PC's TCP Port 2856.  I have seen attempts by yahoo, but the ip addresses are always the same and they start with 66. and the host name of the ip address is something like l1.login.vip.sp1.yahoo.com.  Is the ip address 98.136.62.66 and the host name l1.loginnet.vip.sp1.yahoo.com a bad site?

4 Replies
spc3rd
Former Member
Message 2 of 5

Re: General Firewall Questions

Greetings Theflying monkey!

Until some of our more knowledgeable forum members and Moderators can review your post and offer their respective input, I will just mention my own preliminary observations.

The IP address 98.136.62.66 is a Yahoo address according to the ARIN WHOIS database.  In checking McAfee's Trusted Source site and the hphosts site, I see nothing suspicious about the address.  (Hphosts indicates they do not have any info available).  SiteAdvisor currently gives a green rating to the site.

With regard to the gamefaqs.com site you mentioned, SiteAdvisor presently rates it green, as does WOT.

Some of our other forum members & moderators may be able to offer more detailed info.

theflyingmonkey
Former Member
Message 3 of 5

I know that gamefaqs is rated as Green by McAfee Siteadvisor and WOT.  It was rated like that months ago and I was still getting risky connections back then.  This clearly means that the Siteadvisor ratings have almost nothing to do with the risky connection, since it was green about 3 months ago and I got the risky connections whenever I went on.

theflyingmonkey
Former Member
Message 4 of 5

Another thing that I saw an activity that I have never seen before.  There was an incoming attempt by the ip address 63.245.209.23.  I am not sure what this is, and I believe the host name static-sfx.nslb.sj.mozilla.com.  Just what is this, the only thing I can think of that I did at this time was update a Firefox add-on.  But I have updated my addons many times and have never seen this ip address or host name.

spc3rd
Former Member
Message 5 of 5

This one may need the attention of a more experienced forum member than I.  From what I can tell, the IP address does resolve to Mozilla Corporation.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community