cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ae_kingoftexas
Former Member
Message 21 of 30

Re: Firewall won't stay on

I didn't understand why I would be directed to pay $89 to remove a virus your anti virus software didn't find. I  sure dont understand why you would direct us to another company to find our problem. I see a lot of firewall related problems and no answers but reload your system. Well i did that and I'm having the same problem. I would hat to think i should hav gone to the competion instead 5 years of mcafee system reloading.

on 03/04/12 6:54:53 EDT AM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 22 of 30

Any antivirus support no matter what brand, if they think you are infected, are going to direct you to their own virus removal service and they all charge, believe me.   It's good business.

Uninstalling/reinstalling is also an often successful cure-all.

In this case it's an old thread so I suggest you contact Technical Support again if necessary for any continuing problem if you think you don't have an infection,  It is free after all via phone or online chat.

Firewall not staying on is usually a sign of infection however so you might want to run some extra tools.  I list a few free ones here with a last resort suggestion at the bottom of the page:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-2168

It can also be the sign of competing software so check what you have installed.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 03/04/12 7:11:31 EDT AM
btg
Former Member
Message 23 of 30

Hello,

I don't know to whom address this "response"....???!!!

May be being able to be helpful, like I found it for my computer...

I will buy new software (next time or sooner) because this has too many problems, BUT...

Thanks to all for explaining very knowledge stuff and for try to come with solutions... and quip the Nice face of McAfee.

"No antivirus can protect you 100%"! But?

The philosophical question about evolution "Who was first, the Hen or the Egg?"

Were it is the Similarity ? Virus or antivirus?

Yes, sorry for compilation. Off course the Virus! ....But wait, No?

But if we have a perfect antivirus we eradicate the Virus! NOOO money talk, money talk! Like in the song!

And Vaccines are good for you!

You can find information on line about how to Hack a computer (you can get certify by a college too), but not to make a virus. Off course it is all the same, virus - hack, sorry again....!

When you open your "holes" the viruses get in. Then simple question again....way to open so many holes? Answer...to respond to the question about the "Hen and the egg" and so on!

Even if you get an infection, the paid version of the antivirus (Really a Very Good One), will have the vaccine soon. UPDATES! Ok, just if they will bother to know the "virus market". The good antivirus "vaccine" can't be disable by a new virus. The attack on "protected zone" (even for Win updates) will ask (may be) for access. In this case it is on you! The vaccine is coming out after the virus it is analyzed. Take a while!

Ok I will stop here, you guy can just "develop" from this.

Going back, at my "fix"....

"The Windows Firewall Have To Be Turned Off " !

Ok, but in my case the problem get fix by looking at Services Dependency of the McAfee Firewall and found out He It Is Using  The Windows Firewall Service!

Then do Not Stop The Windows Firewall Service.

Weird or Not? Star Tech Question!

Best to you guys!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 24 of 30

As I said previously - Technical Support is free via phone or online chat and they can help with this problem.

parly
Contributor
Message 25 of 30

My firewall also wouldn't stay on after I removed SystemCheck. Mcafee personal firewall depends on Windows Firewall, so due to dependency failure you can't turn on Mcafee firewall. Aparently, the virus deleted the firewall registry keys.

NOTE from McAfee: It is not recommended to run more than one firewall at the same time.

Message was edited by: ajacobs  on 5/14/12 3:17:33 PM CDT
helpful2000
Former Member
Message 26 of 30

My McAfee firewall will not stay on.  I had this problem on Window 7x64 Home Edition and

1. Uninstalled McAfee Reintsalled - Didn't work

2. Scan for Virus Malware - Found nothing

3. Ran MVT - Didn't work

Correct MCPR link: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

Message was edited by: ajacobs for terms of service on 5/14/12 3:14:47 PM CDT
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 27 of 30

If the firewall cannot be activated or will not stay on that is often a sign that there is some malware on the system which is interfering with the normal operation of an anti-virus program.

The steps you outline above are almost the same as those recommended by an advisor on one of the Microsoft forums to someone whose system might have had the ZeroAccess rootkit present. Do those things, he advised, after checking for evidence of the rootkit and ensuring that it is removed.

Make sure that PC is clean (free from zero access rootkit before trying this fixes)

This firewall issue is commonly found on vista and windows 7 (64 BIT OS)

This is symptom for rootkit on 64 bit systems

if you find a folder called system64

C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM64(not the sysWOW64)

and a file called consrv.dll

C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/CONSRV.DLL

You're infected by zero access rootkit.It is recommended to contact malware removal forums to remove it first and try the fix

He also gave further instructions on what to do in addition to restoring missing registry settings, and at the end he gives an important disclaimer -

Modifying REGISTRY settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of REGISTRY settings can be solved. Modifications of these settings are at your own risk...

You are quite right to emphasis the importance of backing up the registry before installing any of those fixes.

Read the whole thing at answers.microsoft.com, HERE.

The "firewall off" symptom is sometimes an indication that there are other problems which need to be fixed.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 12/05/12 23:38:50 IST
Peacekeeper
Message 28 of 30

Also can be windows firwall is off. It should be on auto in services.msc.

hubbub1105
Former Member
Message 29 of 30

I had the same issues as well. However after hours of messing around I was able to fix it with TuneUp Utilities 2012. I'm not saying it's a sure thing, but I was able to resolve it. Before I did this, I restarted the computer in safemode with no networking, logged onto an administrater account and made a new administrator account. After that, I restarted the computer back in normal and logged onto the new account. And ran tuneup from there.

I'm actually downloading it again since I had the system restore to a point before TuneUp was installed.  (It's just a free trial, but does the job)

After you get it downloaded, open it, you can skip the e-mail step. It will want to start an analysis, I let it. It could take awhile depending on how fast or slow your computer is. If you think it's taking too long you can click on the button on the bottom right that says open start center. If it closes it, reopen it, it should go to the actual program now. Click on the tab at the top that says "fix problems." What I did here was click on "check hard disc for errors." (If you know how to do this without TuneUp, by all means. I'm not that computer smart, just stubborn.) It will take a good long while, when it's complete it will ask to restart your computer to finish checking and restore deleted files. You click yes, it will restart and do some crazy stuff on a black screen before coming back to the loggin screen. I logged on to the new account once again and checked the Mcafee firewall, it was staying on at this point, however, windows firewall was still having issues. So, I did a system restore, and told it to restore to a point a few days before when I knew it was working fine with no errors. After doing all this, You can now log onto your normal account (new account will be gone anyhow) and after resetting the network password over the phone, I am happy to report no more issues. Virus gone and firewalls both working.

Message was edited by: hubbub1105 on 5/16/12 5:05:48 PM CDT

I guess I could tell you what I have too.  I have Windows7 (64 bit)

The virus or whatever it was, gave me a Windows message that looked legit, that basically said I was having a hardrive failure, after several windows popped up that said something about "IO" program not responding.  I did NOT click on it, but It continued to mess with stuff.

Message was edited by: hubbub1105 on 5/16/12 5:13:46 PM CDT
okieeric
Former Member
Message 30 of 30

Hello, I expreienced the exact same issue and have spent the last two hours dealing with it.

Finally got through to a mcafee CSR who dealt exclusively with Dell customers.

First we tried a complete uninstal/reinstall of SecurityCenter, which did not fix the problem.

Then he did a remote takeover of my system and ran some kind of registry editing utility on my system, which he said was designed by McAfee, and the problem was fixed.

I'm not sure what the utility was called or if it is available to non-Mcafee employees, but I would recommend callng customer support!

He also said the problem was actually with Windows Firewall, not SecurityCenter.

Hope this helps!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community